Becoming a smart media viewer is important in the digital age

Will DeShong, Editor commentary
May 2, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Media has been evolving for as long as it has existed, but never as drastically as it has over the past decade or two. This is an exciting time for media to say the least. Communication can instantly happen across the world. We can get news here in Slippery Rock about the happenings in the Middle... Read more »

North Korea crisis no laughing matter

Will DeShong, Editor Commentary
April 4, 2013
Filed under Opinion

North Korea is in the news again with more threats of nuclear activity and hostile attacks on either the United States or South Korea. While these threats are likely just empty threats, as many experts on the region believe the nation’s leader, Kim Jong Un, is simply trying to emphasize his power... Read more »

D.O.M.A. debates are embarrassing the country

Will DeShong, Editor Commentary
March 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The entire country is currently wrapped up in the ongoing Supreme Court hearings concerning gay marriage. To me it is an unsettling story to see in the news. I mean, it is simply frightening to think that there is a large group of people in this country that oppose something as basic as gays getting... Read more »

Support of gay rights is a start in the right direction for struggling Republican party

Will DeShong, Editor Commentary
February 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

The New York Times had an interesting article this past week about how a growing number of Republican leaders are signing a brief urging the Supreme Court to rule that gay couples have a constitutional right to get married. While it is still only a small number of Republicans, it is still nice to... Read more »

Fox News out-does itself with comment on sexual assault

Will DeShong, Editor Commentary
February 21, 2013
Filed under Opinion

In a world full of embarrassing 24-hour news coverage, Fox News never fails to separate themselves from their competition with consistently idiotic commentary on a number of topics. This week, the network may have even outdone themselves. On their show “The Five,” co-host Bob Beckel, a token pseudo-liberal... Read more »

SRU Council of Trustees chairman under scrutiny in Pittsburgh

Will DeShong, Editor-in-Chief
February 14, 2013
Filed under News

The chairman of Slippery Rock University’s Council of Trustees is part of public concerns with the Pittsburgh police. Eric Holmes, who took over as chair this past June, held two full-time jobs from August 2007 until July 2008, working as a sergeant for the Pittsburgh Police Department while also... Read more »

United States needs stronger gun control policies

Will DeShong, Editor Commentary
February 14, 2013
Filed under Opinion

There has been a lot of coverage in the news recently concerning gun control rights in the United States. Many Americans feel very passionate about the topic, on both sides, and I can respect that. But the debate itself, in my opinion at least, doesn’t have much merit. Weapons like assault rifles... Read more »

Sum 41’s “Does This Look Infected?” anniversary tour solid, highly energetic

Will DeShong, Editor-in-Chief
November 8, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

Sum 41 was probably one of your favorite bands as you began to enter your teenage-angst years, but the Canadian punk rockers have lost a lot of their relevance over the past half-decade. So now, as either a celebratory look back to the heights of their success or a timely effort to try to rekindle... Read more »

PASSHE Chancellor addresses university enrollment issues

Will DeShong, Editor-in-Chief
September 27, 2012
Filed under News

The Pennsylvania System of Higher Education (PASSHE) schools will be improving their recruitment efforts to help combat the decline in enrollment the system has witnessed for the second straight year. PASSHE Chancellor Dr. John C. Cavanaugh addressed numerous issues facing the system during its own... Read more »

The Rocket continues to evolve to meet demand of the digital age

Will DeShong, Editor-in-Chief
August 31, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Like every year, The Rocket is entering the new academic year with a new staff eager to improve the newspaper’s impact on the Slippery Rock University community. Last year was a successful year for the Rocket, with the staff taking home numerous awards and accolades throughout all sections of the... Read more »

PA Liquor Control Board gives $17,500 to combat underage drinking on campus

Will DeShong, Editor-in-Chief
August 30, 2012
Filed under News

Slippery Rock University will receive $17,500 in grants from the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board to address underage and dangerous drinking. Renee Bateman, the coordinator for Health Promotion at SRU, said the grant will be used to support the university’s Social Norm Campaign, a program created... Read more »

Increase in demand leads to more online courses

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

Universities around the nation are continuing to implement more online courses each year, but skepticism amongst some students and faculty members alike bring concern that these new web based courses don’t hold up to the traditional classroom environment. Slippery Rock University has increased their... Read more »

First years of college show little gains in key skills

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
April 13, 2012
Filed under News

A study published last year found that 45 percent of college students showed no significant improvement in key skills such as critical thinking, complex reasoning, and writing after two years of studies. Sociologists Richard Arum, of New York University, and Josipa Roska, of the University of Virginia,... Read more »

David Wolfe of the T.O.G.A. Party wins SGA presidential race, happy for party

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
April 6, 2012
Filed under News

David Wolfe was elected to be the next president of the Slippery Rock University Student Government Association, after getting nearly 46 percent of the 1,240 votes tallied. Wolfe led the way for his Together Our Goals Achieve (T.O.G.A.) party, which saw every member on its executive board ticket get... Read more »

Dr. Cheryl Norton named as first female president of SRU

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
April 6, 2012
Filed under News

The Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education selected Dr. Cheryl Joy Norton as the next president of Slippery Rock University on Thursday. Norton will become the first female president in the history of the university when she assumes her duties on June 4. She is... Read more »

SGA presidential debate takes center stage as race heats up, voting opens

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
March 30, 2012
Filed under News

Presidential candidates for the Slippery Rock University Student Government Association defended the campaign promises they’ve made over the previous weeks during a debate on Monday night. Zach Hall, David Wolfe, David Matsuzak, and Alex Hiller fielded questions from Mike Madden, who served as the... Read more »

SGA elections include greater competition this year

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
March 22, 2012
Filed under News

The Slippery Rock University Student Government Association will hold its annual elections for the 2012-13 academic year next week. Three parties are currently vying for positions that will be voted for online from March 28 until March 30. Announcements of the winners will be made in the University... Read more »

Millions suffer from eating disorders

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
March 1, 2012
Filed under News

Nearly 25 million people are struggling through a form of eating disorder, such as anorexia, bulimia, or binge eating in the United States, according to National Eating Disorders Association. Aimed to help bring light to the matter, the Reflections Body Image Program hosted various events on Slippery... Read more »

Dauwalder stresses unity, cooperation

Will DeShong, Staff Reporter
February 23, 2012
Filed under News

Open public interviews of the final six candidates for the presidency of Slippery Rock University concluded on Friday when Dr. David Dauwalder addressed the campus at Weisenfluh Dinning Hall. Dauwalder, who currently serves as Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at the University... Read more »

Students, APSCUF plan rally against budget

Will Deshong, Reporter
February 17, 2012
Filed under News

Students at Slippery Rock University will have the opportunity to express concern about Governor Tom Corbett's proposed budget cuts to higher education through a variety of events scheduled for this month. Corbett is seeking to cut 20 percent, or $82.5 million, of funding to Pennsylvania State System... Read more »

Corbett proposes more cuts to higher education

Will Deshong, Reporter
February 10, 2012
Filed under News

Governor Tom Corbett's proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year would reduce funding to the 14 state-owned universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education by 20 percent, totaling $82.5 million. The Republican governor is seeking $1.4 billion in cuts across all levels of higher... Read more »

Study shows one in five women victims of rape

Will Deshong, Reporter
February 3, 2012
Filed under News

A comprehensive government survey on rape, stalking, and domestic violence reported that nearly one in five women surveyed in the study had been raped or experienced an attempted rape at some point in their lives, while one in three women have experienced either rape, physical violence, or stalking by... Read more »

SOPA, PIPA bills delayed by online protests

Will Deshong, Reporter
January 27, 2012
Filed under News

Massive online protests helped bring two controversial anti-piracy bills to a halt last week, but the fight against copyright infringement is far from over. And the impact of the bills would have a drastic affect on the lives of college students. The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect... Read more »