Public Speaking as online course deemed ‘flawed’

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
April 17, 2014
Filed under News

Slippery Rock University's increased use of online courses has sparked debate from members of the university. SRU Communication professor Dr. James Laux explained that he thinks distance education can work for certain classes, but not others. “I think there are subject matter which is well-suited... Read more »

Faculty respond to bill allowing SRU to leave PASSHE

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under News

With Pa. Senate Bill 1275 in discussion, Slippery Rock University faculty share insight on how the bill could affect the university. The bill would allow Pa State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities to separate from the state system and become state-related institutions if they are able... Read more »

125 Anniversary events should be more inclusive for students

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
April 10, 2014
Filed under Opinion

This week I received an email from the office of the president telling me to fill out a survey. This is in itself is nothing surprising, if there’s one thing that I’ve learned from the constant bombardment of school related emails on RockMail, it’s that the office of the president has what some... Read more »

Election brings P.R.I.D.E. to SGA

Election brings P.R.I.D.E. to SGA

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, News

In a  695-391 vote announced Tuesday, Katie Hill of the P.R.I.D.E. Party  beat Maria Montero of the C.O.S.T.U.M.E. Party in the Student Government Association (SGA) presidential election for the 2014-15 school year. “I was anxious because both Maria and I are close friends and we’re also very... Read more »

Senators propose bill to allow universities to leave PASSHE

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
March 27, 2014
Filed under News

Senate Bill 1275, which would allow Pa. universities to separate themselves from the Pa. State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), was announced in a press conference in Harrisburg on March 11. Senator Robert Tomlinson, who proposed the bill,  explained that there four requirements under the bill... Read more »

Bulk trash problem solved, recycling problem arises

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under News

After the Slippery Rock Borough’s decision to move bulk trash day from May to March in Sept. 2012, they voted on Feb. 4 to change the change the trash day back to May. “It was changed to March because the new contract was coming up and it was filled,” council member Christy Tichy explained.... Read more »

Million dollar SRU budget discrepancy questioned

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under News

In December, the Association of Pa. State College and University Faculties (ASPCUF) hired an accounting firm to check the State System of Higher Education’s (PASSHE) finances within seven schools including SRU and reported that PASSHE’s budgets were off by millions of dollars. At the time, Pa.... Read more »

The Rocket take bribe, and eats it

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
February 13, 2014
Filed under Opinion

I’ve always found it extremely off-putting when someone I don’t know is nice to me. I know that sounds like it’s just a personal character flaw, but I think it’s wrong to cast all of the blame onto myself. After all, one of the earliest stories I was ever told was about two hooligans that are... Read more »

UPDATE: Body found on W. Cooper St.

UPDATE: Body found on W. Cooper St.

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
February 12, 2014
Filed under News

A man's body was discovered lying in the back yard of a house on West Cooper Street Wednesday at 8:15 p.m. The body was identified by the Pa. State Police as Aaron Loy Cook, 28, from Harrisville. According to an employee of Ginger Hill Tavern, Cook was a regular at the bar. The employee stated... Read more »

PASSHE to receive flat state funding from Pa. Governor

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under News

Pa. Governor Tom Corbett proposed flat funding in 2014-15 state appropriations to the PA. State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) for the third year in a row on Tuesday. “Inflation is occurring, energy costs are going up, labor costs are going up,” said President of the SRU chapter of the Association... Read more »

Slippery Rock celebrates 125 anniversary

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Multimedia, News

Kicking off the celebration of Slippery Rock University’s 125 anniversary, SRU President Cheryl J. Norton led a parade of SRU students, alumni, faculty and administration from oldest building on campus, Old Main, to the newest building, the Robert M. Smith Student Center Thursday at noon. “I invite... Read more »

Audit finds discrepancies of millions of dollars in SRU’s budget

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
December 5, 2013
Filed under News

The Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF) released the results of an independent audit of seven of the 14 Pa. State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) public schools, including SRU. The audit claims that the universities have been dishonest and wasteful with funds. The... Read more »

Sheetz expands at new location

Sheetz expands at new location

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under News

The new Sheetz officially opened its doors to the public at Thursday at 7 a.m., the same day that the old Sheetz closed. Junior psychology and philosophy major Christie Gribschaw was one of the people who was in attendance of the grand opening of the new store. According to Gribschaw, about 30 people... Read more »

Slippery Rock landlord’s death splits town, borough council

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 22, 2013
Filed under News

The recent death of a Slippery Rock landlord has left the community shocked and divided. Frank Monteleone Jr. shot and killed himself next to the back entrance of the Slippery Rock borough building Saturday night. Bonnie Davis, his girlfriend of 17 years, said that his death was completely unexpected... Read more »

New ‘transgender’ bathrooms a publicity stunt by SRU

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Designating a bathroom to be gender equal is nothing more than a publicity stunt. It’s something that was likely sent to everybody in a “Good News” e-mail from the PR department. Trying to make people feel more comfortable at the university is a step forward, but changing one bathroom is just that.... Read more »

Slippery Rock landlord found dead next to Borough Building

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 18, 2013
Filed under News

Slippery Rock landlord Frank Monteleone Jr. allegedly shot and killed himself Saturday night. SRU professor and Slippery Rock borough council member, Dr. Itzi Meztli, stated that at 7:30 p.m. Saturday he was told by another borough council member that Monteleone was found dead outside the rear entrance... Read more »

Rising pension contribution rates tax university

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 14, 2013
Filed under News

Cost likely to continue to increase unless reform is passed During the State of the University Address in September, President Cheryl J. Norton explained that one of the main factors of the predicted $28,901,329 debt that the school is expected to inherent, is the continuously rising cost of pension... Read more »

Spotts’ bridge closed, declared dangerous

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under News

Students attempting to enter Spotts via the bridge entrance were greeted with an unpleasant surprise this week. The bridge was closed down, and they would have to walk around the building to enter. According to Herb Carlson, the SRU Assistant Vice President for Construction Design and Management,... Read more »

SRU combats ‘perfect financial storm’

SRU combats ‘perfect financial storm’

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under News

Members of Clarion University began protesting the university’s plan to let go of 36 staff members and eliminate the music education and certain foreign language programs this week, just as SRU finished plans for a win-win solution to their budget concerns. Provost and Vice President for Academic... Read more »

SRU Student Flown to Hospital After Crash on Harmony Road

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 24, 2013
Filed under News

A SRU student was flown to the hospital after losing control of her car and crashing near the top of the hill on Harmony Rd a little after 5 p.m. Thursday. According to the Harrisville Fire Department Captain Brian Grossman, the driver lost control of her vehicle while driving over the hill on Harmony... Read more »

Police well-trained to handle shootings on campus

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

“We don’t mandate [active shooter] training [for faculty]”, SRU Director of Environmental Health and Safety Paul Novak explained. “We only mandate training if it’s tied to legislation, like safety training if you’re an electrician. I don’t know of any initiative right now where the president... Read more »

Evive water stations eliminated on campus

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under News

The Evive water refilling stations in the ARC and Robert M. Smith Student center were removed from SRU on Wednesday Oct. 9. Evive’s company sent an email to customers that said, “Evive Station is a young business and we are still trying to discover what markets work the best for our product. The... Read more »

Second amendment often misrepresented

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 26, 2013
Filed under News

After the Navy Yard shooting that resulted in the death of 12 people including one Slippery Rock alumnus, the question of gun rights often gets brought up in the media. The Second Amendment is usually cited when talking about gun rights, but not many people know why the second amendment was created... Read more »

Slippery Rock Borough eliminates the garbage pickup date after graduation

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 19, 2013
Filed under News

Last September, the Slippery Rock Borough voted to change bulk trash pickup day from May to March, causing garbage from students moving out to be left by the roadside throughout the summer. “I guess there was no clear cut reason why they changed [the bulk trash pickup date],” Borough landlord... Read more »

SRU President forecasts ‘perfect financial storm’

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 12, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

At the State of the University address Thursday, it was announced by President Cheryl J. Norton that if no changes are made to the budget within the next three years, SRU is predicted to have a deficit of $28,901,329. According to Norton, most of the money earned by SRU goes towards paying faculty... Read more »

Family sues school for student’s death

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 12, 2013
Filed under News

The family of an SRU student who died in 2011 during a basketball practice filed a lawsuit against SRU, former SRU nurse practitioner Laura Bateman, and the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) on Sept 6. According to the lawsuit, the deceased student, Jack Hill completed his Pre-Participation... Read more »

Faculty receives letter warning positions may be cut

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 5, 2013
Filed under News

Clarion University plans to cut over 20 faculty members Patrick Burkhart president of the SRU Chapter President of the Association of Pa. State College & University Faculties (APSCUF) spoke to students on Aug. 26 during a SGA about the possibility retrenchment (the elimination of programs or faculty... Read more »

Starting Freshman year the right way

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
August 29, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Every school year begins with a large amount of online articles published about what freshmen should do to make their first year of school a successful one.  When I was a freshman, I didn’t read any of them because I thought that I was too cool to take advice from anybody. But looking back on these... Read more »

Students question meal plan requirements

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under News

All students who live on campus at Slippery Rock University are required to purchase a meal plan that costs anywhere from about $1,600 to $1,800 per semester. Because of this, it’s common for students to ask why it is a requirement. According to an article written by Jim Parsons from WTAE news,... Read more »

VP of Student Affairs leaves SRU

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under News

After seven years of working for the University, the Vice President for Student Life Dr. Constance Foley has announced that she will be resigning on May 13. “It’s a good time to leave Slippery Rock University,” Foley said. “My daughter is graduating from Kutztown on the 18. I was hired seven... Read more »

SRU Health Outreach needs to address disorders like Spontaneous Human Combustion

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
May 2, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Although the SRU Health Outreach Peer Education Network has done a great job of helping students learn about important issues like depression, alcoholism, and drug abuse there are some obvious limits to what the program can accomplish. I mean, they can’t inform students about every single potential... Read more »

Cody Lundin shares survival tips

Cody Lundin shares survival tips

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

Discovery Channel’s Dual Survival co-host Cody Lundin taught SRU students outdoor survival skills Tuesday night in the Student Center Ballroom. Lundin has been instructing students on survival skills since 1991, when he found the Aboriginal Living Skills School. He stated that one of the most... Read more »

Curry Resigns: Norton begins search for his replacement

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under News

Vice President for Finance and Administration, Dr. Charles Curry, announced last Monday that he would be resigning from Slippery Rock University on May 6 after over 27 years of service. President Cheryl J. Norton stated she is going to be forming a search committee to look for a new Vice President. “We’re... Read more »

Jennings treats toxic Big Run Stream

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under News

Residents of Pennsylvania are most likely familiar with hearing the phrase, “don’t drink the water,” when visiting one of Pennsylvania’s many rivers. This is because most of the state’s water supply has been poisoned from being exposed to hazardous materials from abandoned mines. One of the... Read more »

If you make dumb choices, bad things happen

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
April 18, 2013
Filed under Opinion

So I was watching Poke’mon the other day, and I noticed one thing that really pisses me off. No, it’s not the fact that it teaches kids that animal fighting is awesome. I think I can shrug that off, it’s just survival of the fittest. What makes me angry is that Poke’mon teaches kids that it is... Read more »

The Rocket can help out more with crime prevention through reporting

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
April 4, 2013
Filed under Opinion

I’ve seen things. I’ve seen things you couldn’t imagine. Things that would make you sick to your stomach. Underage drinking, driving under the influence, parking violations, damaging grass, public indecency, and vandalism. This town is full of criminals. Every week there are more and more names... Read more »

Clements named new SGA president: Distance Party takes control after sweeping election results

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

“President of the 2013 – 2014 senate is Rogers Clements,” exclaimed Marcie Johnson while standing on top of the rocks in the middle of the quad. Results showed that out of the 1,188 students that voted, 70 percent voted for the Distance Party’s candidate, Rogers (Buddy)Clements, while the... Read more »

SGA Presidential candidates go head-to-head: Candidates debate plans for campus

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
March 28, 2013
Filed under News

SGA presidential candidates Ben Motyl of the T.O.G.A. (Together Our Goals Achieved) Party and Rogers (Buddy) Clements of the Distance Party debated Tuesday at common  hour in the ballroom of the Student Center. Motyl began the debate by introducing himself and his party. He stated that he tried to... Read more »

Book on plants can teach you a lot about friendship

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
March 28, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Book Review "Make Friends With Your House Plants" 4.5 Stars The Rocket has reviewed almost everything. We’ve reviewed movies, video games, bars, food, and even pairs of trousers in the fashion column. I’ve decided that I want to push the boundaries of what has been done before. I’m going... Read more »

Professors believe humanities degrees teach useful career skills

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
March 7, 2013
Filed under News

English, history and philosophy majors are commonly asked what kind of job they wish to have after graduation because of their degrees in the humanities. “There’s no doubt that there is that there is pressure on higher education to look at a direct linkage between what you study in your bachelor’s... Read more »

Online dating can teach you a lot about yourself

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
March 7, 2013
Filed under Opinion

After my girlfriend broke up with me, a friend tried to comfort me by saying that there are plenty of fish in the sea. I honestly have no idea what the hell he was trying to tell me. I’ve got blue balls and a broken heart, how the funk is a healthy population of fish supposed to compensate for that? One... Read more »

SRU panel discusses feminist movement

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
February 28, 2013
Filed under News

“This is what a feminist looks like,” president Cheryl J. Norton said, while introducing herself as the moderator in Thursday’s “This is what a feminist looks like” panel discussion. The women’s center and women’s studies sponsored discussion was held in the Bob Smith Student Center... Read more »

“Vagina Monologues” offers diverse insight into female sexuality

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under News

“Cunt! Cunt! Cunt!” the audience members of the Swope Music Auditorium cheered with SRU student Paige Niezelski, who was wearing a dress with the word “cunt” spelled out in large red capital letters. This was a part of the episodic play The Vagina Monologues entitled “Reclaiming Cunt”... Read more »

Geology is a terrifying science

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
February 21, 2013
Filed under Opinion

I woke up this morning in a cold sweat. My body was trembling in fear and agony. A steamy colored liquid seemed to be running down my pant leg. I was having those nightmares again. I was dreaming about geology. Geology is the study of the Earth. I know this because I major in geology.  You may be... Read more »

Professors question students’ research methods

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
February 14, 2013
Filed under News

As students are relying less on libraries and depending more on the Internet, professors are beginning to question students' research habits. Jane Smith, coordinator of instruction and government documents librarian, began to teach a one hour research class on how to locate, evaluate and use information. “The... Read more »

PASSHE and APSCUF agree on tentative contract

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket News Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

After nearly two years of negotiating, ASPCUF (Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties) announced Monday that they unanimously approved the tentative contract agreement with PASSHE (Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education). A framework for the contract was created... Read more »

People should live like it’s both Valentines Day and St. Patrick’s Day every day of the year

Jonathan Janasik, Commentary
February 7, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Captain Kirk from Star Trek is the perfect man.  He truly is an inspiration to us all. He’s handsome, strong, smart, handsome, and he always has some sort of inspiring introspective speech at hand. I think that people really need someone that they can look up to as a sort of moral compass to remind... Read more »

Students need to be aware of the dangers certain beverages can bring

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Five weeks is way too long for winter break. What am I supposed to do with free time? You can only read the Forty Shades of Grey trilogy so many times before kinky bondage becomes boring. When kinky bondage becomes boring, you know that there’s a problem. Luckily, the spring semester has started,... Read more »

Norton visits dorms to talk about potential strike

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under News

President Cheryl J. Norton personally visited each of SRU’s residence halls to meet students and talk about what would happen if the faculty would go on strike. Norton visited two residence halls per day from Monday to Friday in order to meet students and answer any questions that they had about the... Read more »

New writing requirements shift away from English department

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
December 7, 2012
Filed under News

Slippery Rock University recently removed the liberal arts requirement that required all students to take two college writing courses, causing debate about how writing competency should be demonstrated. Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs at SRU Dr. William F. Williams explained that the... Read more »

Strike authorization vote passed

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 30, 2012
Filed under News

The Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF) voted to pass the strike authorization vote, which allows the APSCUF leadership to call a strike at will. APSCUF’s last contract with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) expired in June 2011, leaving... Read more »

Faculty and coaches from 14 universities vote on strike authorization vote

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 16, 2012
Filed under News

PASSHE chancellor Dr. John C. Cavanaugh visited SRU last Thursday as ASPCUF prepared to vote for strike authorization. The Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF) has been bargaining with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) for almost two... Read more »

Study shows Pennsylvania universities struggling with liberal studies programs

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
November 8, 2012
Filed under News

The American Council of Trustees and Alumni (ACTA) gave SRU a ‘C’ on a report card released Monday that graded the quality of the liberal arts program. ACTA describes themselves as, “an independent, non-profit organization committed to academic freedom, excellence, and accountability at America's... Read more »

Norton giving campus a ‘Botox’

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 25, 2012
Filed under News

President Cheryl J. Norton begun “botoxing” the SRU campus. “I define botoxing simply as strategically designed initiatives that don’t require a lot of money but make an immediate and significant impact,” Norton explained. “In other words it’s kind of a face-lift for the institution.... Read more »

APSCUF prepares for strike authorization vote

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 25, 2012
Filed under News

The Student Government Association (SGA) rallied in the quad Tuesday afternoon in order to spread awareness of APSCUF’s upcoming strike authorization vote. Immediate past president of the SRU chapter of APSCUF, Dr. Jace Condravy explained that a strike authorization  serves as a warning to PASSHE... Read more »

Professors predict an Obama victory

Catie Clark and Jonathan Janasik
October 18, 2012
Filed under News

Tuesday night’s debate between President Barack Obama and Republican Gov. Mitt Romney sparked the attention of millions of Americans. The debate, which was held at Hofstra University in New York, left many voters including students, faculty, and staff at Slippery Rock University wondering who would... Read more »

PASSHE declines arbitration, APSCUF to vote on strike authorization

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 18, 2012
Filed under News

APSCUF is considering passing a strike authorization after contract negotiations with PASSHE continue for over two years with little progress. Dr. Patrick Burkhart, professor of geology and President of the SRU chapter of Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF)... Read more »

Environmental protection can create big problems

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 18, 2012
Filed under Opinion

All of this hoopla on campus about “saving the environment” is starting to get to me. It seems like I can’t even roast marshmallows over a Butler Eagle-fuel flame without getting some shpeal on so called “air pollution”. Excuse me, this is America. The land of the free. And you’re telling... Read more »

Research on fossils brings light to Earth’s history

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 4, 2012
Filed under News

Dr. Tamera Schiappa, professor of Geology specializing in paleontology, is continuing her 20 year long research on 288 million year-old fossils. The subject of her National Science Foundation (NSF) funded research was shelled arthropods known as ammonoids from the Permian period located in a marine... Read more »

Avoiding a ‘walk-in’ on your roommate can be difficult

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
October 4, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Monday afternoon at approximately 2:43 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, I opened my dorm room door to find my roommate and his girlfriend lying in his bed. Naked. Having sex. Make no mistake, it was never my intention to bust in on them in the middle of the action, it just kind of happened. If it was... Read more »

Professors develop new software

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 27, 2012
Filed under News

SRU professors Dr. Jack Livingston and Dr. Julie Snow are putting their finishing touches on their $175,000 grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in order to publish a program that will allow users to better understand their local airsheds. The goal of the grant was to create a free and... Read more »

Physical Therapy professor receives almost $50,000

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 21, 2012
Filed under News

SRU Physical Therapy professor Dr. Timothy Smith was rewarded almost $50,000 in a four-year grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) in order to fund his research on the development of primates. Smith’s doctorate is in Physical Anthropology and he teaches Micro Anatomy and Gross Anatomy.... Read more »

New adult learners program rewards credits for previous work experience

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 7, 2012
Filed under News

PASSHE announced a new program last week that promises course credits for adult learners with work or military experience. Kenn Marshall, the Media Relations Manager for PASSHE, stated that the program is targeted to nontraditional students who have not been in college classrooms but instead, have... Read more »

Student jumps out window to evade fire

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 7, 2012
Filed under News

A fire broke out Tuesday morning in the Cooper Street Apartments resulting in a student jumping out the second story window of her apartment. Mary Jane Brandon, the manager Cooper Street Apartments said the fire station was called as soon as the fire broke out at approximately 2:30 a.m.  The residents... Read more »

Questioning the notion of ordering condoms through a mail service

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
September 7, 2012
Filed under Opinion

Here at the Rocket, we strive to cover the latest and most hard hitting news that we can find throughout the university. Of course this is much easier said than done. As you may or may not have noticed, Slippery Rock is not always the most exciting place to be. Because of this, the Rocket staff... Read more »

APSCUF contract remains up for debate

Jonathan Janasik, News Editor
August 31, 2012
Filed under News

APSCUF will meet with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Friday to discuss the union’s contract, which has been under negotiation for over two years. The previous contract expired June 30, 2011, but the new contract’s terms have been debated since 2010. Until a new contract is agreed... Read more »

Board of Governors agrees on President Norton’s $225,000 salary

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
April 27, 2012
Filed under News

SRU’s new President Dr. Cheryl Norton’s salary was agreed upon earlier this month by the Board of Governors. Kenn Marshall, media relations manager for PASSHE (Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education), revealed that Norton’s annual salary would be $225,000. Dr. Robert Smith, SRU’s previous... Read more »

Multiple bomb threats disrupt Pitt campus

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

The University of Pittsburgh has received over 60 anonymous bomb threats since the beginning of February, including threats Thursday morning and 12 threats Monday. The threats have caused students at Slippery Rock University to evaluate their safety. “[SRU] is definitely safer than Pitt because... Read more »

Condravy steps down as SRU APSCUF President, recommends Burkhart

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

The  2012 Spring Academic Assembly was held in Swope auditorium Tuesday in order to discuss the “State of the University” and to honor SRU’s long term faculty members. After being APSCUF President of the SRU chapter for nine years, Dr. Jace Condravy announced that she would not be running for... Read more »

Google recruiter shows areas of growth in Google

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
April 6, 2012
Filed under News

A Google Technical Recruiter visited SRU Thursday to talk about Google as a business and to offer advice on what companies look for when hiring new employees. Jen Crowley is a Technical Recruiter for Google in the Pittsburgh office. She held an assembly sponsored by SRU’s School of Business Week... Read more »

SRU protests killing of Trayvon Martin with peaceful demonstration

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
March 30, 2012
Filed under News

Students and community members from SRU held a demonstration Tuesday afternoon in honor of a Florida teenager who was shot and killed without an investigation. At 2:26 p.m. Tuesday SRU students and community members gathered in the quad to protest the shooting of Trayvon Martin. Students and community... Read more »

Rep. Jaret Gibbons and SRU student robbed at gun point

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
March 22, 2012
Filed under News

A Pa. representative, his chief of staff, and an intern from Slippery Rock University were robbed at gunpoint early March 12 near the Capitol Building in Harrisburg. Representative     Jaret Gibbons, who represents parts of Butler, Beaver and Mercer counties, said that at about 12:30 a.m. he arrived... Read more »

New office opens to assist students with free tax filing

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
March 1, 2012
Filed under News

The Center for Community Resources opened a new office February 1st that allows students, families and community members who make up to $50,000 per year to get professional tax preparation done for free. The program is called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and it's sponsored by the IRS, said... Read more »

Marcellus Shale employees earn $30,000 more than Pa. workers

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
February 23, 2012
Filed under News

SRU's College of Business, Information and Social Sciences held an assembly in the ATS auditorium Tuesday at common hour, about the developing natural gas industry from the Marcellus Shale. Joy Ruff, the economic development community outreach manager for the Marcellus Shale Coalition, came to SRU... Read more »

Plan B vending problem in PA

Plan B vending problem in PA

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
February 17, 2012
Filed under News

A machine that dispenses Plan B One-Step along with other forms of contraception at Shippensburg University of Pa. has faced recent criticism. The President of Shippensburg University, Bill Ruud, made a statement on February 9 saying that there have been recent questions about the ethics of having... Read more »

University Village plans on expansion in summer 2012

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
February 10, 2012
Filed under News

Slippery Rock University Village announced Monday that they had finalized plans for the construction of five new buildings starting in summer 2012. President and Managing Principle of Oculus Capital Group (OCG), Christopher Feeley announced plans to build Phase II of the University Village. Phase... Read more »

PASSHE says SRU Provost Williams will remain in position, needed as negotiator with APSCUF

Jonathan Janasik, Rocket Contributor
January 27, 2012
Filed under News

The Pennsylvania State Board of Governors announced Monday that William Williams, current provost of Slippery Rock University, will not serve as interim president following current president Robert Smith's retirement next week. An email from the SRU Council of Trustees was sent out to all SRU faculty... Read more »