The Rocket will be missed

Steph Holsinger, Commentary
May 9, 2013
Filed under Opinion

As the copy editor of the Rocket, most of you are probably not very familiar with me as I’ve only written two stories this year. My job is to correct everyone’s spelling and grammar (mainly Jon’s… just kidding) and make sure everything is all perfect and sparkly before the editor-in-chief... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
May 4, 2012
Filed under News

Borough April 7 – Thomas Leavell, 23, was arrested for a DUI. April 18 – William W. Hulings, 25, was arrested for a DUI. April 21 – Robert James Slopek, 32, was cited for disorderly conduct. April 21 – John Joseph Ottena, 33, was cited for disorderly conduct. April 21 –... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 27, 2012
Filed under News

Magistrate April 25- Ronald Lee Miano Jr., 44, of Slippery Rock, was seen for simple assault, harassment, and public drunkenness. April 25- Brian Joseph Miller, 23, of Slippery Rock, was seen for criminal mischief. He was released on his own recognizance. April 25- Mitchell Clayton Coulter,... Read more »

New app gives students opportunity to find jobs through Facebook

Steph Holsinger, Assistant Campus Life Editor
April 27, 2012
Filed under News

A mobile application was recently released that provides students with resources to connect with potential employers through both Facebook and LinkedIn. Pooldip, an application that is headquartered in Silicon Valley, Calif., was released at midnight Friday morning for mobile devices, iPad, and tablets.... Read more »

Grad students look to break from SGA

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 27, 2012
Filed under News

The Slippery Rock University Board of Co-Operative Activities discussed organizing a committee to implement a separate government association for graduate students at their meeting Thursday. According to Samuel Goodge, a graduate student in student affairs in higher education, an organization of the... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

Borough   April 14- John Muron Jr., 24, was cited for an open container of alcohol.   April 14- Lauren McIlravey, 21, was cited for public drunkenness.   April 14- Robert Emig, 22, was cited for public drunkenness.   April 15- Roy Robert Grooms, 20, was cited... Read more »

AVI makes effort to be more eco-friendly at SRU

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

Over the past year, food services at Slippery Rock University have implemented various environmentally friendly “green” initiatives to help improve the food and campus overall. AVI Fresh, which supplies the food at the dining halls at SRU, has implemented initiatives such as composting, recycling,... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 13, 2012
Filed under News

Borough     March 15- Christopher Puff Jr., 21, was cited for theft of services.   March 17- Joseph P. Pearce, 21, was cited for a DUI.   March 29- Tyne Merriman, 22, Jessica Protzman, 22, and Samantha Pykus, 21 were cited for disorderly house.   March... Read more »

Norton takes on role of being first female president at SRU

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 13, 2012
Filed under News

Dr. Cheryl Norton, who was named as the first female president of Slippery Rock University last Thursday, will begin serving our campus on June 4. Norton, who grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, completed her bachelor’s degree in physical education at Denison University, located in Granville, Ohio. While... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 6, 2012
Filed under News

Magistrate   March 21- Brittany Nicole Everetts, 22, of Parker, Pa., was seen for theft by unlawful taking.   March 21- William Frederick Claypool, 20, of Mercer, was seen for use and possession of drug paraphernalia.   April 4- Zachary Adam Atwell, 20, of Slippery Rock,... Read more »

Bottled water harmful to the environment

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
April 6, 2012
Filed under News

The Geography, Geology, and Environmental Science Club presented a documentary that explained the negative effects of drinking bottled water in the ATS Auditorium Wednesday evening. The documentary, which was titled “Tapped,” explored different aspects about bottled water, such as the production,... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 30, 2012
Filed under News

Magistrate   March 28- Jason Earl Vogan, 37, of Boyers, Pa., was seen for two counts of DUI. He was released on his own recognizance.   March 28- Lance Lorraine Hess, 40, of Chicora, Pa., was seen for two counts of DUI. He was released on his own recognizance.   March... Read more »

Sheetz plans big move

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 30, 2012
Filed under News

The development of the new Sheetz gas station sparked a discussion between an attorney representing Sheetz and council members during a meeting on March 6 at the Borough Office. James McCormick, the attorney, said that Sheetz plans to build a new store at the intersection of Franklin Street and North... Read more »

Activity fees no problem for students

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 30, 2012
Filed under News

Many students who are enrolled in the 14 Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) universities are unhappy with being forced to pay annual activity fees, according to a recent article by the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. The article states that for most of the PASSHE universities, these... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 22, 2012
Filed under News

Magistrate   March 21- Bradley Scott Burroway, 26, of Emlenton, Pa., was seen for two counts of DUI. He was released on his own recognizance.   March 21- Nathan Leroy Benko, 26, of Vienna, Va., was seen for two counts of DUI. He was released on his own recognizance.   March... Read more »

SRU students protest proposed budget cuts

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 1, 2012
Filed under News

The Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) hosted a rally to speak out against the recent proposed budget cuts to higher education Tuesday afternoon in the quad. Earlier this month, Governor Tom Corbett proposed a 20 percent cut to public higher education, including the 14 Pennsylvania... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
March 1, 2012
Filed under News

Magistrate   Feb. 29- Ronald L. Wischerman, 32, of Portersville, Pa., was seen for possession of marijuana.   Feb. 29- Hugh Alexander Pushko, 36, of Slippery Rock, was seen for a DUI, resisting arrest, and disorderly conduct.   Feb. 29- Douglas Hitchman, 21, of Glenshaw,... Read more »

Police Blotter

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
February 23, 2012
Filed under News

Campus   Feb. 15- There was a report of harassing phone calls and texts at Building A. The case is under investigation.   Feb. 15- There was a report of physical assault at the Health Center. The victim did not want to press charges and no other action was taken.   Feb.... Read more »

BC3 President confident he’s the best fit

Steph Holsinger, Rocket Contributor
February 17, 2012
Filed under News

Dr. Nicholas Neupauer, the fourth presidential candidate to visit Slippery Rock University, participated in his open forum interview Friday afternoon to address questions from both students and faculty. Neupauer, who is the current president at Butler County Community College, believes that his experience... Read more »

Board of Governors names Curry as interim president

Steph Holsinger, Rocket Contributor
February 3, 2012
Filed under News

The Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) Board of Governors announced on Friday, January 27, that Dr. Charles Curry, vice president for administration and finance at Slippery Rock University, will serve as acting president for the university until a new president is elected. Curry... Read more »

‘Revive’ water station added to new union

Steph Holsinger, Assistant News Editor
January 27, 2012
Filed under News

The Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) gave a presentation on the future installation of a new filtered water station that will be available at the new union during their meeting Thursday. Jim Henry, vice president of student affairs, has been working on the project since August. The... Read more »