Here we go Rock fans

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Opinion

When you graduate from high school, all your friends’ parents and relatives tell you how college will be the best time of your life. They tell you to stay as long as you can and to enjoy every second of it. You don’t understand why they stress it to you so much until... Read more »

Juicy J and Wale perform for a sold out crowd

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Campus Life, Showcase

Saggy pants, half-naked women, drug and alcohol abuse, violence and explicit content are just some of the stereotypes that plague the hip-hop industry. Kevin Woods, also known as Chevy Woods, began his journey into the industry... Read more »

Women’s outdoor track set for another title run

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
May 1, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s track and field team added 24 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) qualifying marks at the Ashland Open this past weekend to help their chances at sweeping championship titles for the 2013-2014 year. “We have a good... Read more »

Women’s outdoor track shines through rough weather conditions

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
April 9, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s outdoor track and field team found the silver lining in a dreary day, recording 21 PSAC qualifications, four NCAA provisional marks and breaking a school record at the Dave Labor Invitational last Friday night. “Since we practice in similar conditions, we’re accustomed... Read more »

Himpele crowned Ms. SRU

Himpele crowned Ms. SRU

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Sports

After months of staying committed to a strict workout regimen and diet, senior Nicole Himpele took to the  stage and won the title of Ms. SRU in her first bodybuilding show. Himpele, a health and physical education major minoring in sport management and leadership,... Read more »

Cain, Powis enter NCAA DII Top-10

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
April 2, 2014
Filed under Sports

Two Slippery Rock women’s track and field athletes reached marks that put them in the top-10 of NCAA Division II athletes at the Raleigh Relays last weekend. Senior Julia Cain recorded the fifth best pole vault clearance with a 3.75 meter clearance. Cain earned fourth place at the event. “I’ve... Read more »

Women focus on outdoor title

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
March 27, 2014
Filed under Sports

After winning the indoor PSAC Championship less than three weeks ago, the Slippery Rock women’s outdoor track and field team began the road to the outdoor championship with 23 PSAC qualifying marks at the Shamrock Invitational at Myrtle Beach. “Winning... Read more »

SRU bounced from PSAC playoffs in 2OT

SRU bounced from PSAC playoffs in 2OT

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Photo Slideshows, Sports

As the final seconds ticked away in regulation of the Quarterfinal Round of the PSAC Playoffs against Gannon University, the Slippery Rock men's basketball team saw the game-winning basket bounce off the rim. Five minutes of play later, they watched the same scenario occur again, sending the game... Read more »

Men’s basketball advances to PSAC Quarterfinals

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
March 4, 2014
Filed under Sports

After scoring only four points throughout the first nine minutes of play, the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team (20-9, 10-6 PSAC-West) regrouped and defeated Seton Hill University (15-12, 7-9 PSAC-West) 68-65 Saturday night in the First Round of PSAC Playoffs. The win by SRU marked the seventh... Read more »

Rock slips in rivalry match against IUP

Rock slips in rivalry match against IUP

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock fans packed into the Morrow Field House Wednesday night dressed in white in hopes of cheering on their men’s basketball team to victory over PSAC-rival Indiana University of Pa. The crowd’s energy, cheers and signs were shaken off by IUP as... Read more »

Men’s basketball outlasts Edinboro

Men’s basketball outlasts Edinboro

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under Sports

Strategic substitutions and a fast-paced second half performance allowed the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team (18-8, 9-5 PSAC-West) to shut down Edinboro University (9-16, 2-13 PSAC-West) 79-66 Wednesday night. The conference win kept SRU in the tournament’s... Read more »

Turnovers cost men game at Mercyhurst

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 13, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s basketball team fell into familiar territory with another game being decided with just a few points as they fell 52-56 to the Mercyhurst Lakers Wednesday night. The decision dropped the Rock’s record to 17-8 (8-5 PSAC-West) and improved the Lakers to 13-9(9-3 PSAC-West). In... Read more »

Rock secures tournament berth with win over UPJ

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 11, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s basketball team (17-7, 8-4 PSAC-West) took control after a slow second half start against the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown (12-10, 5-7 PSAC-West) to defeat UPJ 88-77. Heading into halftime, the Rock held a six-point lead over UPJ (41-35). “We ended the half so... Read more »

You love us, but we’re idiots: Guy Code

You love us, but we’re idiots: Guy Code

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

Put down the beer and buffalo chicken dip and pick up your Pinot Grigio and P90X because this is “Guy Code”. Star of MTV’s “Guy Code” and “Girl Code” Chris Distefano came to Slippery Rock University Tuesday night to entertain students with a stand-up act. Fully confident in his sensitivity,... Read more »

Men’s basketball falls at Gannon

Men’s basketball falls at Gannon

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

In their fifth consecutive single-possession game, the Slippery Rock men’s basketball fell 56-59 Wednesday night at the Hammermill Center at Gannon University. The loss dropped the Green and White (16-7,7-4 PSAC-West) to fourth place in the PSAC-West and gave the Golden Knights (13-8, 8-3 PSAC-West)... Read more »

Rock basketball snaps losing streak

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
February 5, 2014
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock men's basketball team (16-6, 7-3 PSAC-West) dug deep in overtime to defeat California University of Pa.(9-11,4-6) 64-53, ending a two-game losing streak Saturday afternoon. The Rock's three contests prior to meeting with the Vulcans were decided within one or two points. They fell to... Read more »

SRU suffers overtime loss to Golden Eagles

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Sports

Taking advantage of a wide-open shot, Clarion junior Marques Jones sank a three-point shot with 1.4 seconds remaining in overtime to upset the Slippery Rock men's basketball team 87-86 Wednesday night in a Pennsyvania State Athletic Conference match-up. The loss drops SRU's overall record to 15-6... Read more »

Men’s basketball narrowly defeats Seton Hill

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
January 25, 2014
Filed under Sports

With just 25 seconds remaining, senior center Maurice Lewis-Briggs sank two free throws to put the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team up 72-71 over Seton Hill University Wednesday night. Seton Hill nearly responded but the final buzzer rang before they could tip the ball in following a missed three-pointer,... Read more »

Men’s basketball ends six game winning streak

Kristin Karam, Sports Editor
December 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

... Read more »

SRU earns NCAA playoff berth

SRU earns NCAA playoff berth

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
November 19, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, Sports

With the 38-42 fall to Bloomsburg in the PSAC Championship game still weighing heavily on their minds, the Slippery Rock football team’s spirits lifted as they received the fifth seed for Super Region One in the NCAA Division II playoffs. This will be the program’s first appearance in the national... Read more »

Rock football takes the PSAC-West title

Rock football takes the PSAC-West title

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
November 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

... Read more »

Rock shuts down Vulcans

Rock shuts down Vulcans

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock football team took down California University of Pa. 35-17 last Saturday to become the sole leaders of the PSAC-West. In order to hold the title by themselves, SRU must defeat their final conference opponent, Seton Hill University, Saturday. The win over Cal-U moved Slippery Rock... Read more »

Rock to face Vulcans for top spot

Rock to face Vulcans for top spot

Kristin Karam, Assistant News Editor
October 30, 2013
Filed under Sports

Sole possession of first place in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Western Division is at stake this Saturday afternoon. Slippery Rock football team (7-1, 4-1) and California University of Pa. (6-2, 4-1) are currently tied for the top spot. Initial Division II... Read more »

SRU moves up in national rankings

SRU moves up in national rankings

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
October 24, 2013
Filed under Sports

... Read more »

SRU moves into national rankings

SRU moves into national rankings

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
October 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Indiana University of Pa. football team was ranked seventh in the nation. They had the top defensive unit in Division II football. IUP was also undefeated with a 5-0 record. It seemed like the perfect season, until they came to Slippery Rock. The SRU football team came out with a dominating performance,... Read more »

SRU dominates Mercyhurst

SRU dominates Mercyhurst

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
October 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock football team earned their first PSAC-West win of the season last Saturday by defeating Mercyhurst University 58-34. SRU is now 3-1 overall and 1-1 in the conference while Mercyhurst fell to 1-3 overall and 0-2 in the conference. The Rock put up 609 yards in total offense, 269... Read more »

SRU falls in first PSAC-West game

SRU falls in first PSAC-West game

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 26, 2013
Filed under Sports

Penalty flags fell to the ground like rain as the Slippery Rock football team lost to Gannon University 38-27 in a downpour last Saturday at the Gannon University Field. The loss moves the Green and White to 0-1 in the PSAC-West and 2-1 for the season. Sixteen penalties for 143 yards kept SRU from... Read more »

Rock sinks Ship

Rock sinks Ship

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 19, 2013
Filed under Sports

Tied for the conference lead in passing yards and leading the PSAC in touchdown passes, senior quarterback Nigel Barksdale paved the way for a 58-38 win over Shippensburg University last Saturday. Barksdale threw for 304 yards against Shippensburg, which gave him the school record for most passing... Read more »

Rock powers past Northwood

Rock powers past Northwood

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

Six touchdown passes. 465 yards. One new school record. Senior quarterback Nigel Barksdale led the Slippery Rock football team to a 51-36 season-opening win over Northwood University in Michigan last Saturday. Barksdale’s six touchdowns passed the previous single-game touchdown record of five set... Read more »

Donnelly uses distance as motivation

Donnelly uses distance as motivation

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

Ever since he was a child, junior Stephen Donnelly has wanted to leave his home in Dublin, Ireland and move the United States. When Slippery Rock University's  men's soccer head coach Michael Bonelli offered him a chance to play in 2011, he jumped at the opportunity. Donnelly’s journey across... Read more »

SRU football ranked third in PSAC poll

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University football team looks to bring a fast, athletic and competitive team to their Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference competition this season. The preseason coach’s polls predicted the Rock to finish third in the PSAC West, behind Indiana University of Pa. and Mercyhurst... Read more »

Being a Freshman: The Do’s and Dont’s

Being a Freshman: The Do’s and Dont’s

Kristin Karam , Assistant Sports Editor
August 22, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

The best years of your life start now. Strangers will become lifelong friends, you will look back on some pictures and wonder “what was I thinking?” and classes will shape your future. It all starts now. Freshman year is the time to define yourself and get started on the rest of your life. Nervous?... Read more »

Rock heads to PSACs: Daugherty breaks 10-year old record

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team will send 43 athletes, including five top seeds, to Millersville for the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Championship after concluding their regular season Friday at the SRU Last Chance meet. Three-time PSAC champion senior Cameron Daugherty... Read more »

Rock qualifies 32 athletes at Ashland: Green and White prepares for PSAC Championships

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

With just one meet left before the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championships, the Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team added 32 PSAC qualifying marks, two NCAA provisional marks, and one automatic NCAA mark. Senior Kevin Jewel automatically qualified for the NCAA Division... Read more »

Track earns four event wins at IUP

Track earns four event wins at IUP

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team posted 19 PSAC qualifying marks and recorded four wins at Indiana University of Pa.'s Ed Fry Invitational Saturday. Despite having to cope with undesirable weather conditions, head coach John Papa feels his athletes are pushing themselves to compete... Read more »

Gay Marriage is bound to become legal soon

Kristin Karam, Commentary
April 18, 2013
Filed under Opinion

When I was a little kid, I thought that in the new millennium we’d have flying cars and other cool inventions like they showed on “The Jetsons”. Instead, we’re still trying to control each other and fighting about whether or not same-sex marriage should be legalized. Really? Take a look... Read more »

NFL players shine light on LGBT issues in athletics: Athletes team up to “Tackle Homophobia”

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, Sports

With the support of Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe, former NFL lineman Esera Tuaolo took Slippery Rock University students through his journey as a closeted homosexual football player in the NFL Monday night. The ‘Tackling Homophobia’ event was brought to SRU by the University Program Board... Read more »

Rock wins 13 events

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
April 11, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team took 13 event wins and met 27 PSAC qualifying standards at the SRU Open Friday. Head coach John Papa said that competing at home is huge in track and field and felt his team took advantage of it. “In the throwing events, the athletes are... Read more »

Relays produce 12 PSAC qualifiers: Jewel runs fastest time among NCAA Division II athletes at Raleigh

Relays produce 12 PSAC qualifiers: Jewel runs fastest time among NCAA Division II  athletes at Raleigh

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team closed out the last of their southern meets this season at the Raleigh Relays in North Carolina last weekend, adding several PSAC and NCAA qualifying marks. SRU was led by senior Kevin Jewel’s record-breaking 800-meter performance on Saturday. Jewel... Read more »

Lacrosse drops to 1-2

Lacrosse drops to 1-2

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
March 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s lacrosse team fell 20-10 to Mercyhurst University at Tuesday’s Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference match-up. SRU dropped to a 1-2 overall record (0-1 in league play) with their second straight loss. They defeated Catawba College (24-5) March 20 and fell to Belmont... Read more »

SRU ladies record 30 PSAC qualifiers

SRU ladies record 30 PSAC qualifiers

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
March 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s outdoor track and field team opened their season by bringing back 30 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference marks from their annual Spring Break trip to Myrtle Beach. The team competed at the Shamrock Invitational March 15-16 and at the Washington and Lee Carnival March... Read more »

Rock advances to semifinals

Rock advances to semifinals

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
March 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

With Queen’s “We Will Rock You” playing during the final seconds of overtime, the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team held onto their 62-58 lead, ending Gannon University’s playoff run on Tuesday night. The win advances Slippery Rock to the semifinal round of playoffs, hosted by Indiana... Read more »

Title IX helping women, but holding many sports back

Kristin Karam, Commentary
March 7, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Title IX had a huge impact on women’s sports when it was enacted in the 70s. Since then, women’s sports have continued to grow and develop and society seems to have accepted that women want, can and will succeed in the world of sports. I feel that a major revision is necessary. The focus should shift... Read more »

Men’s track takes third at PSACs

Men’s track takes third at PSACs

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s indoor track and field team took third place at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championships this past weekend. The two-day event took place at Edinboro University in the Mike Zafirovski Dome. Shippensburg University won the event for the third year... Read more »

Men’s track prepares for PSAC meet

Men’s track prepares for PSAC meet

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s indoor track and field team recorded 30 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference qualifying performances on Saturday at the Kent State Tune-Up, their final meet before the championship. Over 30 schools attended the event, both Division I and Division II, most using... Read more »

Dating in the digital world: “Catfish” host Nev Schulman talks to students about online dating, friends

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia

Throughout an unpredictable and endearing presentation, host of MTV’s “Catfish: The TV Show” Nev Schulman brought to light the dangers of social media to a packed crowd of students in the Student Center Ballroom Monday night. Schulman’s journey began with the “Catfish” documentary, filmed... Read more »

Men’s track takes first

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

Six event wins pushed the Slippery Rock University’s men’s indoor track and field team to a first-place finish at the Baldwin-Wallace Mid-February meet last Friday. Event wins came in the pole vault, high jump, 200-meter dash, 500-meter dash, 55-meter dash and the 4x400-meter relay. The Rock... Read more »

Steelers fan reacts to Super Bowl

Steelers fan reacts to Super Bowl

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, Sports

If you’re a Pittsburgh Steelers fan, Super Bowl 47 was rough. We had to choose between rooting for the Baltimore Ravens, one of our biggest rivals, or the San Francisco 49ers, who could tie our beloved team’s record for most Super Bowl wins. As a die hard black and gold fan, the only part of the... Read more »

Mens track finishes first among PSAC schools

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s indoor track and field team took third place at the NCAA Division II Team Challenge on Saturday with a score of 60.5 points. Six Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference schools competed at the event and the Rock finished as the top team among them. Head coach... Read more »

Men’s track excels at YSU

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

After an extended winter break, the Slippery Rock men’s track and field team returned to action Friday at Youngstown State University. Most of the athletes returned to the Rock about a week before the meet in order to prepare for their events. Senior sprinter Kevin Jewel feels the longer break... Read more »

Cheerleading squads compete at Nationals

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

A cheerleading routine lasts for two minutes and thirty seconds. At the end of my college cheerleading career, the most important moments will add up to about ten minutes. Slippery Rock competes at the Universal Cheerleaders Association National Collegiate Cheerleading Championship held at the Wide... Read more »

Track teams excel at YSU

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
December 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s and women’s indoor track and field teams took off into their season on Saturday by recording a combined 30 top-five finishes, five NCAA provisional qualifying marks, and three event wins at the Youngstown State Invitational. Freshman Mariah Burns hit two NCAA qualifying... Read more »

Indoor track will open at Youngstown

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
November 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men and women’s track teams jump right into their indoor season Saturday at the Youngstown State Invitational. Last year, both indoor teams took second place at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championships. The women’s outdoor team came in third at the outdoor PSAC... Read more »

Rock men’s soccer beats Gannon, clinches playoff spot

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s soccer team upset Gannon University 2-1 Wednesday to clinch a spot in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference playoffs. Heading into the game, the Rock was coming off of a 0-0 double overtime tie against West Virginia Wesleyan College on Saturday. The tie kept the team... Read more »

Men’s soccer falls in championship game

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s soccer team ended their season on Monday after being denied a spot in the NCAA Division II tournament following a heartbreaking 1-0 loss against Mercyhurst University in the PSAC Championship Game on Sunday. Mercyhurst took the top seed in the PSACs, followed by West Chester... Read more »

Men’s soccer wins on Senior Night

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
October 18, 2012
Filed under Sports

After suffering a loss on Saturday against the reigning PSAC champions, Millersville University, the Slippery Rock men’s soccer team shut out Lake Erie College 3-0 Tuesday on Senior Night. The Rock lost to Millersville University 2-1 in overtime. Senior defender Blake McChesney got the only goal... Read more »

SRU men’s soccer hits road to continue PSAC action

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
October 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s soccer team battled against California University of Pa. and Shippensburg University last weekend and then took on Bloomsburg University on Wednesday to move their season record to 5-2-4. All three games were Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference matchups. The Green and... Read more »

Rock prepares for upcoming PSAC matches

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 28, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock University men’s soccer suits up for PSAC play this weekend after defeating Wheeling Jesuit University 2-1 on Sunday. The win improves the Rock’s season record to 4-1-3. Junior goalkeeper Joe Agerskow made his first collegiate start against Wheeling Jesuit and looks forward to... Read more »

Men’s soccer suffers first PSAC loss

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock men’s soccer team endured their first loss this season on Thursday against Mercyhurst University after recording a tie against Urbana University last Saturday. Slippery Rock kicked off a six-home game stretch against Urbana University last Saturday. They recorded their third double... Read more »

Men’s soccer records two consecutive shutouts

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 14, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock’s men’s soccer team broke into the national ranking and recorded two shut outs on the road against Alderson-Broaddus and the University of Pittsburgh Johnstown to improve their season record to 3-0-2. Head coach Michael Bonelli is very pleased with the team’s performance so... Read more »

Slippery Rock gets first win of the season

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
September 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

After settling with two double overtime ties at the SRU Soccer Tournament, Slippery Rock’s men’s soccer team swept Seton Hill University 6-1 on Wednesday to advance their record to 1-0-2. The Rock began their season with the SRU Soccer Tournament against Ashland University last Friday night. Junior... Read more »

Depth to work in favor of men’s soccer

Kristin Karam, Assistant Sports Editor
August 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men's soccer team is preparing to start their season this weekend with a home-field tournament that includes Mercyhurst University, Tiffin University, and Ashland University. Head coach Michael Bonelli feels confident in his team's ability to perform well during the tournament... Read more »

Rock use final meet to prepare for PSACs

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
May 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock outdoor track and field team had three more athletes reach PSAC qualifying marks last Saturday at the Ashland Alumni Invitational. The event was the final meet before the PSAC Championships. The past two years at the PSACs have produced two second place finishes from the women’s... Read more »

Several athletes qualify for PSACs at Ed Fry Invite

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
April 27, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock outdoor track and field team attended the Ed Fry Invitational last Saturday at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. With PSACs quickly approaching, both teams are stepping up to get as many athletes to qualify as possible. Despite the undesirable weather, junior sprinter DJ Chisom... Read more »

Green and White dominates Dave Labor Invitational

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
April 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock outdoor track and field teams dominated the competition at the Dave Labor Invitational last Saturday. The home invite was renamed this year after the late Dave Labor. Labor was an assistant coach with the program for 17 years and died last fall after battling cancer. The men’s... Read more »

Rock excels at Slippery Rock Open invite

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
April 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock outdoor track and field team took full advantage of competing at home when they hosted the Slippery Rock Open last Thursday. “It’s definitely a huge adrenaline rush competing at home,” sophomore Anthony Stango said. “We’re used to that track and training on it year-round.... Read more »

Junior runner places ninth at Raleigh Relays

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
April 6, 2012
Filed under Sports

After a week off from competition, the Slippery Rock outdoor track and field teams competed at the Raleigh Relays and the Washington and Jefferson Invitational last weekend. The Raleigh Relays started on Friday and was a two-day event. The W&J Invitational was held on Saturday. The Relays brought... Read more »

Outdoor track runs in Shamrock Invitational

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
March 22, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock outdoor track and field team traveled to Myrtle Beach, SC over Spring Break for the Shamrock Invitational. The three-day invite, which started on March 15 and ended March 17, hosted 54 teams and over 1,700 athletes. The men’s team was led by junior Cameron Daugherty, who posted... Read more »

Indoor track teams finish second in PSACs

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
March 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock's indoor track and field teams both finished in second place at the 2012 PSAC Championships at Edinboro University last weekend. The women's team was in first place at the end of Saturday with 53.50 points with titles claimed in the pole vault and pentathlon. In the pole vault, junior... Read more »

Indoor track breaks record in 4×400

Kristin Karam, Rocket Contributor
February 23, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock's indoor track and field team competed at the Kent State Tune-Up Saturday and came home with high confidence and two school records broken. The men's 4x400 meter relay team made up of junior Ethan Geisler, sophomore Trevor Foley, junior Kevin Jewel and freshman Hunter Williams ran a... Read more »

Indoor Track dominates at Baldwin-Wallace meet, prepares for Kent State next

Kristin Karam , Rocket Contributor
February 17, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock's indoor track and field team dominated the Baldwin-Wallace mid-February meet last Friday night in Berea, Ohio. The men's team brought home seven wins and 31 top-10 finishes. Top events included the shot put, sprints, and distance runs. Slippery Rock took the top three spots in the... Read more »

Freshman distance runner breaks record at Youngstown State

Kristin Karam , Rocket Contributor
February 3, 2012
Filed under Sports

Three meets into the indoor track and field season is all it took for freshman distance runner Janine Powis to break Slippery Rock's record book. At the Youngstown State Invitational, Powis won the 800-meter run event with a time of 2:14.91, beating the previous record of 2:15.60, held by Blanca D'Hoedt since... Read more »

Freshman distance runner continues streak of solid running at Geneva meet

Kristin Karam , Rocket Contributor
February 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

Freshman Janine Powis continued her outstanding season Saturday, winning the mile with an NCAA qualifying time of 5:01.00 at the NCAA Division II Team Challenge in Geneva, Ohio. The women's indoor track and field record in the indoor mile is 5:01.25, held by Gretchen Petcher in 1993. Due to a... Read more »

Indoor track stays prepared over break

Kristin Karam , Rocket Contributor
January 3, 2012
Filed under Sports

long winter break can put a lot of pressure on college athletes. Everyone wants to catch up with old friends and just relax, but with a season still ahead of them, the Slippery Rock indoor track and field team has to stay focused and stick to their workout plan. Sophomore distance runner Travis Arrigoni said... Read more »