Parliamentarian Lerman resigns at start of semester

0
855

At its first formal meeting of the semester, Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) met Monday evening to discuss multiple financial motions and the resignation of the current Parliamentarian Matt Lerman, among other business motions.

Among many financial motions, SGA approved the amount of $2.5 million to allocate clubs and organizations for the 2020-2021 academic year.

SGA approved Black Action Society’s request for $5,850. These funds will help fund the annual cultural immersion trip. The funds will go directly toward the bus, a meal and an activity during the trip for students that attend.

SGA approved Men’s Rugby Club’s request for $1,200. These funds will pay for new padding for players and sled repairs.

Parliamentarian Matt Lerman will be resigning from his current position on the executive board of SGA. Lerman explained that he has a lot going on this semester, as it is his final semester in grad school. He said he needs to refocus his time so that he is able to get a job after he graduates.

In other business, SGA discussed:

• Town hall topics for this semester, campus inclusion and campus accountability
  • The ordering of the menstrual products for the pilot program
  • Budgetary reserves are currently sitting at $60,649.95, and capital reserves are currently sitting at $17,702.37

Although next week’s meeting would typically be informal, because there is a guest speaker visiting campus, there will be another formal meeting next week on Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the Smith Student Center Theater.

Nina is a sophomore majoring in communication: converged journalism. She has aspired to become a journalist for the New York Times for as long as she can remember. During high school, she was on her school's newspaper staff freshman to senior year. She was also the editor-in-chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching YouTube and Netflix. She is elated to be The Rocket's news editor, and she can't wait to see what SRU and The Rocket have in store for her.

Previous articleMen’s basketball picking up steam
Next articleSlow start dooms reeling Rock
Nina Cipriani