Parliamentarian Lerman resigns at start of semester

0
545

At its first formal meeting of the semester, Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) met Monday evening to discuss multiple financial motions and the resignation of the current Parliamentarian Matt Lerman, among other business motions.

Among many financial motions, SGA approved the amount of $2.5 million to allocate clubs and organizations for the 2020-2021 academic year.

SGA approved Black Action Society’s request for $5,850. These funds will help fund the annual cultural immersion trip. The funds will go directly toward the bus, a meal and an activity during the trip for students that attend.

SGA approved Men’s Rugby Club’s request for $1,200. These funds will pay for new padding for players and sled repairs.

Parliamentarian Matt Lerman will be resigning from his current position on the executive board of SGA. Lerman explained that he has a lot going on this semester, as it is his final semester in grad school. He said he needs to refocus his time so that he is able to get a job after he graduates.

In other business, SGA discussed:

• Town hall topics for this semester, campus inclusion and campus accountability
  • The ordering of the menstrual products for the pilot program
  • Budgetary reserves are currently sitting at $60,649.95, and capital reserves are currently sitting at $17,702.37

Although next week’s meeting would typically be informal, because there is a guest speaker visiting campus, there will be another formal meeting next week on Feb. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in the Smith Student Center Theater.

Nina is a freshman majoring in communications: converged journalism. She has always wanted to be a journalist. In the beginning, around elementary school, she wanted to become an author and write a New York Times Bestseller. But since then, she has taken many English and journalism classes, and so her views of becoming that bestselling author altered dramatically. During high school, she was on the school newspaper staff freshman year to senior year. She also was the Editor In Chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. As for her goals currently, she aspires to become a journalist for The New York Times. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix, but specifically Friends. She is thrilled to be The Rocket’s assistant news editor, and she can’t wait to see what SRU has in store for her in the future.

Previous articleMen’s basketball picking up steam
Next articleSlow start dooms reeling Rock
Nina Cipriani