Humans vs. Zombies game ends in a draw

Humans vs. Zombies game ends in a draw

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

Their bandanas are tied, their foam Nerf dart blasters are loaded and their sock bombs are ready to stun. The Walking Dead of SRU have infected vigilant students. But who will become limping zombie food as the dawn of the dead rise? It’s zombie killing time. SRU’s annual campus-wide Humans vs.... Read more »

American Sign Language comedians illustrate immersion into the deaf community

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia

During the course of his childhood in the 70s, his face was glued to his television set studying the art of comedy from Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, Bob Newhart and countless others. From watching the comedy greats, soon Keith Wann began performing stand-up routines on his own. Though Wann admit... Read more »

How I Met Your Mother writers made fans “Wait for it…”

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
April 1, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

If you’re one of the people who have made it to the middle of season 5 of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix, stop reading immediately! Seriously, abandon ship! I will spoil things for you and I can’t be held responsible for your own negligence. So here is your disclaimer. Stop reading! I hope only... Read more »

1880s on stage: Theater and Dance departments ‘make the ordinary extraordinary’

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Campus Life, Photo Slideshows

Swing yer partner ‘round ‘n ‘round, dosey doe and don’t let go!” Smiling as he watches students rehearse, dance professor and choreographer Dr. Thom Cobb, renowned as “TC” to the SRU community, said he’s looking to create something magical. The smell of freshly cut wood tickles... Read more »

How I Met Your Mother creates rules for dating

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life editor
February 25, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

Suit up Mother Lovers! While you may still be sowing your wild oats just as the rest of the How I Met Your Mother characters seems to be settling down, let us not forget Barnacle’s sacred advice. As the series finale on March 31 is quickly approaching, many wonder whether their copies of The Bro... Read more »

Potter’s Guild teaches Slippery Rock community the art of ceramics

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

Down a dimly lit alley on SRU’s campus, secluded from the rest of the sights and sounds is a place where some art students go to escape it all. Few have ventured there alone. Some say there is a lot of pot…tery!  While SRU’s Art Ceramics Building might not be among one of the campus’s prime... Read more »

‘Flaunt Your Fleece’ aims to conserve university’s energy

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under News

With the recent budget cuts at SRU, many seem to wonder what types of funding will be cut first. While there are many economic pay offs attempting to be made, one of the most beneficial, the university estimates, will be lowering their energy costs. SRU is calling this movement ‘Flaunt Your Fleece... Read more »

“It’s Girl Code”: MTV star Carly Aquilino discusses the show’s impact, shares laughs

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia

Gather ‘round ladies, it’s Girl Code! With fire engine-red hair and a nasally, optimistic voice similar to Fran Drescher’s, there’s no denying Carly Aquilino, 23, stands out from the cast of MTV’s Girl Code. Though Aquilino appears much shorter and petite in person compared to the small... Read more »

Duck Dynasty and Bachelor comments raise questions about publicity

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Campus Life

Prepare yourself for the rose ceremony. Oh no, what kind of mischief did the Duck Dynasty clan get themselves into this time? There’s no doubt reality TV shows like to instill a certain degree of shock and awe among their viewership. The scene before a commercial break will usually set up an awkward... Read more »

ROTC soldier says “HOOAH” to scholarship

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

With SRU being a nationally recognized Military-Friendly school, they are proud to award their Army ROTC (Reserve Officers' Training Corps) students with various scholarships they can apply for. For junior criminology and criminal justice major, Geurin Barrows, 20, being awarded an active duty scholarship... Read more »

Safer Sex Olympics explores protection options

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia

Ever attempt fitting a condom over a bone? Some fake skeleton bones, that is. This year’s Halloween-themed Safer Sex Olympics sponsored by HOPE Peer Education Mentors and Adagio Health found nothing spooky about testing various brands of condoms on some Halloween props. Senior secondary education... Read more »

SRU students showcased in Pittsburgh Opera

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

It’s not over until the SRU students sing. That is to say in the opera, of course. But for music students Eric Garber and Patrick McGill, this is just the beginning. Senior music performance major, Eric Garber, 21, put his best instrument to use in audition for a role in Pittsburgh Opera’s production... Read more »

Candlelight vigil honors LGBTQIA

Candlelight vigil honors LGBTQIA

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
October 3, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

Students gathered in remembrance of those among the LGBTQIA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or transsexual, queer or questioning, intersex, allies or asexual) community Monday evening in the quad with a candlelight vigil to mourn members of the community who had taken their own lives. The event... Read more »

Dead Man’s Cell Phone: Connecting Death

Dead Man’s Cell Phone: Connecting Death

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
September 26, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

What happens to your cell phone after you die? Is it terminated? Is it recycled to someone else? Or does a mysterious woman pawn it off of you after your death in a café and is now she’s using it to connect with all of your family? For dead man Gordon, it’s the latter. SRU’s theater department... Read more »

SRU professors share overcoming college obstacles

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
September 5, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

Before a round of conducted purposeful laughter to put a smile on the faces of those gathered in the Student Center Ballroom Tuesday evening, students were given advice from a familiar college professor and mentor who understood the obstacles many students face. “Just remember, it’s not the destination,... Read more »

Summer journeys enrich students

Rebecca Marcucci, Campus Life Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

While most SRU students spent their summer soaking up rays or putting in time at seasonal jobs, many students brushed up their professional skills and leadership opportunities. Senior secondary education English major and women’s studies minor, Brandy Geist, 21, said she had an incredible week long... Read more »

Top 10 chart-topping current hits for listeners of older generations

Rebecca Marcucci, "Rock On: A Review of Today's Music Hits"
May 9, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

I have great respect for older generations, but when I hear them arguing that music today isn’t as good as it was “back in the day,” I can’t help but to disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the classics from the ‘50s to the ‘70s and I agree that many songs are better left untouched... Read more »

UPB sponsored spring concert features country stars

Rebecca Marcucci, Assistant Campus Life Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

A sea of camouflage hats, flannel shirts, and cowboy boots filled the Abersold Recreation Center (ARC) gymnasium Sunday evening for SRU’s spring concert hosted by the University Program Board (UPB) in preparation for country artists JJ Lawson, Thompson Square, and Justin Moore. Senior communication... Read more »

Identity as art: Expression of genders brings aesthetic value to pop culture

May 2, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

The clothes we buy, music we listen to, movies, TV, and entertainment we consume are all a part of sexual identity as an aesthetic expression, according to professor of philosophy, politics, and art at Dickinson College, Crispin Sartwell. Along with being a professor at Dickinson College, Sartwell... Read more »

SRU English professor shares overcoming journey with battling cancer

April 25, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

“Cancer is the best, worst thing that’s ever happened to me.” Looking back, SRU English professor Dr. Myra Balok had these words to say about her battle with uterine cancer five years ago. “When you get that call it already sounds like you’re in the grave,” Balok said. “My doctor... Read more »

Charged, convicted, innocent: First person exonerated from death row by DNA testing results shares story of his fight to overturn his wrongful conviction

April 11, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

Imagine being imprisoned for nine years, two of them on death row for a crime you didn’t commit. Philadelphia native and honorably discharged former Marine, Kirk Bloodsworth, 52, said if it could happen to him, it can happen to anyone. In 1984, Bloodsworth was convicted in the case of 9 year-old... Read more »

Students share personal stories related to autism

April 4, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

The global discussion on autism is one that hits home for sophomore emerging technology and multimedia major Karleigh Santry, 20, for two reasons. Her father and her brother. “I don't care that either of them have a ‘disorder,’ I hate that word. They are two of the best people I know and... Read more »

New winter guard team holds first performance in Morrow Field House

March 28, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

“We are all hard-working, well-disciplined, and well-trained. We have a passion for guard,” said senior criminology major and co-captain of Slippery Rock University’s Winter Guard team Amanda Peterson, 20. SRU’s newly formed Winter Guard team is an additional expansion from the university’s... Read more »

Faulty eyewitness accounts proven to be number one culprit for false convictions in Pa.

March 7, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

Showing a picture of Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson, law professor from Duquesne University Dr. John Rago asked the crowd what their thoughts were toward the individuals. “I think I know what your thoughts are,” Rago said. “You’re probably upset because these two were called not guilty for crimes... Read more »

Comic Jay Pharoah performs stand-up in ballroom

February 28, 2013
Filed under Campus Life, Multimedia

“I’m not a punk, I’m a survivor.” These were the words of 25 year-old actor and comedian Jay Pharoah, of NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” Sunday night in the Robert M. Smith Student Center Ballroom as many students gathered to hear Pharoah perform his stand-up routine. Pharoah warmed... Read more »

“Biggest Loser” competitor discusses her experiences, shares health and fitness tips

February 14, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

How does it feel to go from weighing 316 pounds to losing 155 pounds while America is watching? Season 7 finalist of NBC’s hit show, the Biggest Loser, Tara Costa, says it was a life-changing experience for her. “My starting weight on the show was 294 pounds,” Costa said. “But the heaviest... Read more »

Modern, jazz choreography showcased by SRU dance students

February 7, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

Looking to stay warm? Get ready to feel the heat the SRU Dance Department will be supplying in their student dance showcase, “Forward Momentum.” The show will be featuring SRU dance students performing a variety of original Modern and Jazz choreography, many of which choreographed by SRU students. Senior... Read more »

New technology opens door to world of virtual classes for students

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
December 6, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

Imagine you can take a class where you are an avatar – not a lanky and scaly blue cinematic creature, but an online personality much like an Xbox character. In this type of classroom, you can ask questions and interact with students, much like the atmosphere of a physical classroom, except it’s... Read more »

Fighting the spread of germs and illness during the cold and flu season

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
November 30, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

The intense winter seasons and finals week are quickly approaching and now is not the time to get sick. After all, the kid who’s coughing into his hands before sending the attendance sheet around is enough to make anybody nervous this time of year. Loading up on vitamins and staying away from coughing,... Read more »

Military veterans struggle with lasting effects of PTSD

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
October 25, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

Temperatures of desert heat, wind blowing and dust kicking up, American soldiers have made their way into Iraqi territory. Nationalism is ideal, fear is the reality. Bravery is sought after while trying not to miss home, until trauma settles in. Psychology professor Dr. Jennifer Sanftner explained... Read more »

Students go paperless, use digital portfolios in job search process

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
September 20, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

“Brand yourself.” “Market your skills.” These are among some of the things students hear employers are seeking when students create portfolios to reflect these mottos. Traditional hard-copy portfolios that most have been accustomed to presenting in an interview have seemed to shift in more... Read more »

Students run the show in latest “Brave New Plays”

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
April 20, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

“Brave New Plays is going to be sweet,” a lollipop handed out to students in the dining halls assured. The students passing out the candy also revealed that the treats hinted toward a certain element that will be seen in the show. “Brave New Plays,” an event held yearly during the Slippery... Read more »

YouTube star Judson Laipply performs in MPR

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
April 20, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

“Life isn’t always the party we’d hoped for, but while we are here…might as well dance!” This quote from YouTube sensation Judson Laipply – the star of “Evolution of Dance,” a video with over 190 million hits – was shared with SRU students Wednesday evening in the University Union... Read more »

Black Violin includes diverse musical genres in performance

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
April 13, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

The stage is set with a DJ record table, lights, and the audience in anticipation. The performers take the stage with their violins. They do not wait for cues from their conductor – they feed off of the roaring audience. From performances with Alicia Keys, Fort Minor, Akon, P. Diddy, Kanye West,... Read more »

SRU students adjust time between pets and academic work

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
March 22, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

“Animals are such agreeable friends. They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.” This quote by English Victorian novelist George Eliot talks about the unique friendship offered to humans from animals. For SRU students also owning pets, whether it be back home or in a house or apartment... Read more »

Studying in Australia lands photo contest victory for business management major

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
March 1, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

When "You had to be there" just isn't enough, a picture is worth a thousand words. For students studying abroad, their insights and adventures into foreign lands are often self-photo documented. Before last semester, SRU students studying abroad shared most of their photos from their trips with... Read more »

Building personal relationships, friendships key to learning about diverse cultures

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
February 17, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

A man once told our nation that his children would be raised to judge an individual not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. This man, of course, was Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., a proud advocate of the civil rights movement in the 1960s. Many people across the nation... Read more »

Soul Café showcases diversity of student talent

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
February 10, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

The University Program Board (UPB) and NAACP at SRU presented music, poetry, and more in the University Union Multi-Purpose Room (MPR) Wednesday evening at the Soul Café. SRU students showcased their talents during this event while also involving the audience in their performances with singing... Read more »

Weather a common cause of depression

Rebecca Marcucci, Rocket Contributor
January 27, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

Some students may find themselves experiencing overwhelming feelings regarding their schedules and the cold weather. This concept can lead to a type of depression psychologists call Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Stemming from depression, SAD is described as feelings of depression influenced by... Read more »