Rock crumbles under IUP’s offensive attack

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
April 10, 2014
Filed under Sports

The No. 7 Indiana University (Pa.) lacrosse team (9-2, 7-0 PSAC) reaffirmed their position in the national rankings by defeating Slippery Rock (4-7, 1-5 PSAC) by a score of 15-6. “I think we started to get a little tired and that led to us making a few more mistakes than we did at the beginning... Read more »

SRU outduels Gannon for first time

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
April 3, 2014
Filed under Sports

Tuesday may have been April Fool's Day, but the joke was on the Golden Knights.   The Slippery Rock University lacrosse team (4-5, 1-3 PSAC) earned their first win against Gannon University (5-5, 2-3 PSAC) ever, in a very convincing fashion by a score of 18-7 at Mihalik-Thompson Stadium.   The... Read more »

LAX offense stifled by Griffins

LAX offense stifled by Griffins

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
March 27, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women’s lacrosse team (3-3, 0-1 PSAC) fell to the Griffins of Seton Hill (6-2, 1-2 PSAC) in the Green and White’s first PSAC competition of the season. The Griffins won the match by a score of 10-9 on home turf. “What’s killing us is our turnovers,” SRU head... Read more »

No. 13 Lindenwood unfazed by Rock

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
March 13, 2014
Filed under Sports

Coming off a lopsided victory against West Virginia Wesleyan, the Slippery Rock women’s lacrosse team (1-1) was handed their first loss of the season by the Lions of Lindenwood University, MO (3-1) last Friday. The Lions, ranked 13th in the nation, defeated the Green and White by a score of 19-11. Lindenwood... Read more »

Rock offense powers past Bobcats

Rock offense powers past Bobcats

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
March 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s lacrosse team (1-0) opened their season Wednesday night with a 21-3 win at home against the West Virginia Wesleyan Bobcats (1-1). The Rock offense was unfazed by the freezing conditions and exploded for 11 goals in the first half and 10 in the second. “I think our... Read more »

Crimson Hawks rout Green and White

Crimson Hawks rout Green and White

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 27, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s basketball team (6-20, 3-13 PSAC-West) ended their 2013-14 season with a loss to the IUP Crimson Hawks (17-9, 8-8 PSAC West) in what could very well be SRU head coach Tanya Longo’s last game here at Slippery Rock. IUP claimed their final regular season win by a score... Read more »

Chambers, Rock fly past Griffins for win

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 24, 2014
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s basketball team  (6-19, 3-12 PSAC-West) played their final road game of the season and completed the season sweep with a win against the Griffins of Seton Hill (12-13, 4-11 PSAC West) Saturday afternoon, 62-60. SRU’s first victory against the Griffins came on Jan. 22,... Read more »

Fighting Scots’ high-tempo offense knocks down Rock

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 20, 2014
Filed under Sports

The first and last place PSAC-West teams faced off at Morrow Field House Wednesday night, with the top team coming out with an 82-64 victory. The Slippery Rock women’s basketball team (5-19, 2-12 PSAC-West) entered Wednesday night’s game against the Edinboro Fighting Scots (19-5, 13-1 PSAC-West)... Read more »

Slippery Rock earns fifth win of season, downs Mercyhurst

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 13, 2014
Filed under Sports

SRU (5-18, 2-11 PSAC) earned their fifth win of the season Wednesday night 70-63 against the Lakers of Mercyhurst University (6-16, 4-8 PSAC). The game was the second meeting of the season for the two green teams in the PSAC. The Lakers defeated the Rock in January, 75-82. “Winning always gives... Read more »

SRU outlasted by UPJ

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 11, 2014
Filed under Sports

After tying the game with nearly 11 minutes remaining in the second half, the SRU women’s basketball team (4-18, 1-11 PSAC) failed to keep up with the University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown Mountain Cats (8-14, 5-7 PSAC) down the stretch and suffered their fifth consecutive loss, 76-60. The Rock could... Read more »

Gannon shuts down Rock

Gannon shuts down Rock

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 6, 2014
Filed under Sports

With their lowest scoring half under head coach Tanya Longo in her career at the Rock, the SRU women’s basketball (4-17, 1-10 PSAC) team fell to the nationally ranked Golden Knights of Gannon (21-1, 10-1 PSAC) on Wednesday evening, 71-39. For the fifth time this season, the Rock spent no time in... Read more »

SRU falls to Cal-U

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
February 4, 2014
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock (4-16, 1-9 PSAC) women's basketball led for nearly the first four minutes against California University of Pa. (12-7, 6-4 PSAC) but the Vulcans offense proved to be far too efficient for SRU to handle in the final 36 minutes of regulation as the Rock fell 85-67 Saturday afternoon. Cal-U... Read more »

Women’s basketball falls at Clarion

Women’s basketball falls at Clarion

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
January 30, 2014
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock trailed the Golden Eagles of Clarion University by 17 points at halftime, a deficit that proved too great in the end as the Rock fell 89-73 on Wednesday night. Slippery Rock has trailed at the half in 14 of 19 games this season. “We have worked on different things during practice... Read more »

Crimson Hawks defeat SRU women’s basketball

Matthew Morgan, Assistant Sports Editor
January 29, 2014
Filed under Sports

With a 66-50 loss to the Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks Saturday afternoon, Slippery Rock women's basketball fell to 4-14 on the season and 1-7 in PSAC-West play. IUP ended their five-game losing streak and improved to 12-6 overall and 3-5 in the PSAC. IUP now holds a 14 game win... Read more »

Gannon narrowly defeats SRU

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
December 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s basketball team (1-6, 0-3 PSAC) demonstrated their full potential Wednesday night despite falling to the No. 2 ranked Gannon Golden Knights (7-0, 3-0 PSAC), 73-76. “Tonight’s play shows what everybody was telling us. We showed tonight that we can compete with anybody... Read more »

Sweet Sixteen Bound

Sweet Sixteen Bound

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The 12th ranked Slippery Rock women’s soccer team earned its third consecutive trip to the NCAA Division II Sweet Sixteen with a 2-1 overtime win against the 24th ranked Shippensburg Raiders on Sunday. The second round game of the NCAA Division II playoffs was played under dismal conditions with... Read more »

Women’s soccer earns NCAA berth

Women’s soccer earns NCAA berth

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

The No. 12 ranked Slippery Rock University women’s soccer team was selected as the second seed in the Atlantic Region of the NCAA Division II Soccer Tournament. SRU was rewarded for their 13-3-2 season and earned a first round bye, as well as hosting rights in the second round of the tournament.... Read more »

Women’s basketball opens season 0-2

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 13, 2013
Filed under Sports

The SRU women's basketball team dropped to 0-2 after an 80-77 loss to the Wheeling Jesuit University Cardinals Tuesday night in Morrow Field House. The Rock trailed the Cardinals 78–61 with 4:04 remaining in the game before putting together a 16–2 comeback run to narrowly lose the contest. Senior... Read more »

Rock upset in opening round of PSACs

Rock upset in opening round of PSACs

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

The SRU women’s soccer team fought to defend their 2012 PSAC title against Gannon University Tuesday night. The second-seed Rock was upset at Mihalik-Thompson stadium, losing to the Golden Knights 1–0 in regulation play. The loss not only ended SRU’s nine game winning streak, but also knocked... Read more »

Ladies win eighth straight

Ladies win eighth straight

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women's soccer team defeated the Millersville University Marauders Wednesday night in their last home game of the regular season by a score of 2–0 to capture their eighth victory in a row, bringing their record to 13-2-1 (12-2-1 PSAC). The victory guaranteed the Green and White... Read more »

Rock defeats Kutztown 2-1

Rock defeats Kutztown 2-1

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
October 17, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Wednesday, the 21st ranked SRU women's soccer team snapped Kutztown's  Seven-game winning streak with a 2-1 victory. Both teams came into the match ranked in the Atlantic Region Top-Five, the Rock being third and Kutztown being fourth. The Rock (9-2-1) didn’t wait long to take the lead as freshman... Read more »

Rock’s winning streak ends

Rock’s winning streak ends

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
October 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s soccer team fell 2-1 to Gannon University Wednesday night. Heading into the game, SRU was ranked 11th and the Golden Knights were ranked 25th. Last season, the Golden Knights held the 24th place national ranking and also downed the unranked Green and White by a score... Read more »

SRU extends winning streak to three

SRU extends winning streak to three

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 26, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women's soccer team welcomed the Seton Hill Griffins on Tuesday night for a PSAC match under the lights on Bob DiSpirito field inside of Mihalik-Thompson Stadium. Slippery Rock defeated the Griffins by a score of 2-0, improving their current win streak to three games. The... Read more »

SRU settles for 1-1 conference draw

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 12, 2013
Filed under Sports

The last time the Slippery Rock University women’s soccer team finished in a draw was on September 10, 2011. Tuesday, exactly two years later, the ladies in green and white concluded a match against the Clarion University Golden Eagles with a 1-1 draw following two overtimes at Clarion’s Memorial... Read more »

SRU defeats Vulcans in opener

SRU defeats Vulcans in opener

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 5, 2013
Filed under Sports

With only eight returning upperclassmen on the Slippery Rock University women’s soccer roster, this season will rely highly on the skill of the 19 underclassmen. Several of those underclassmen contributed largely to the regular season opening victory over Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference rival... Read more »

Rock looks to defend PSAC title

Rock looks to defend PSAC title

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women's soccer team will look to defend their 2012 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference championship title this fall. Last year's title-winning team also appeared in the third round of the NCAA Division II tournament. The 2013 season marks the 20th year of the women's soccer program... Read more »

SRU falls short of playoffs: Season ends with losses to Cal-U

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

The SRU women’s softball team brought its season to a close last weekend with a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference-West doubleheader at the top ranked NCAA Division II Atlantic Region California University of Pennsylvania. In both games, the Lady Vulcans bested the Green and White. Game one... Read more »

SRU splits doubleheader: Green and White goes even with Golden Knights

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
April 25, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Tuesday night, the Slippery Rock University women's softball team closed out their regular season home schedule with a double header against Gannon University. Like the prior two doubleheaders, SRU split the series with one win and one loss. The Rock got off to a slow start in game one with... Read more »

Green and White sweeps Clarion

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Wednesday, the SRU women's softball team swept Clarion University in a Pennsylvania State Athletic Confercene-West division doubleheader. The two victories bring Slippery Rock’s overall record to 13–15. The first game saw the Rock trail by two runs from the second inning until the seventh inning. Junior... Read more »

Rain postpones softball: Ladies face four game losing streak

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
April 11, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Wednesday and Thursday, the Slippery Rock University softball team was scheduled to face off against Edinboro University and Clarion University, however the games will be rescheduled due to weather and will be played April 17 and April 19. These rainouts now make for six postponed games during... Read more »

Poor weather postpones games for Slippery Rock: Rock splits home opener

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
April 4, 2013
Filed under Sports

With rough weather lingering around this year, the Slippery Rock University women’s softball team has had to sit idly by and watch as their games get postponed. Last Friday, the Green and White was scheduled to compete in a double header with the Edinboro University Lady Scots. Due to snow and... Read more »

Softball adds young talent to spring roster

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
March 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

With the regular season starting today at Edinboro University, the Slippery Rock University women’s softball team has already played in 14 pre-season games, so far with a record of 6-8. The team’s season opened at the Shaw University Tournament in Raleigh, N.C. on February 15. Slippery Rock... Read more »

Ladies end season with loss to Gannon

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Wednesday evening, the Slippery Rock women’s basketball team traveled to No. 8 Gannon University for the final game of the season, dropping the PSAC-West game 80-48. Senior Christa Wodarczyk led the team in her final excursion in a Slippery Rock uniform with 10 points and five rebounds. Senior... Read more »

Cunningham believes hardwork beats talent

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

Stopping at McDonald's before any athletic event for a meal may sound like a dreadful idea, but to Erinne Cunningham, it has become a tradition prior to every one of her basketball games. For Saturday games, the meal usually comes off the breakfast menu, and for mid-week evening games a snack-wrap will... Read more »

Ladies end season with loss to Gannon

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

Green and White falls to California

Green and White falls to California

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women’s basketball team suffered a 78-55 loss against the California University of Pa. Lady Vulcans on Wednesday night. Slippery Rock kept the game close during the first half, trailing just one point behind the Lady Vulcans. Cal quickly stole the momentum from the... Read more »

From SRU to NFL: Brandon Fusco reflects on football career

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

On April 30, 2011, rounds four, five, six, and seven of the NFL Draft were taking place at Radio City Music Hall in New York City. At the same time, 366 miles away, the Ginger Hill Tavern in Slippery Rock, Pa., was packed wall-to-wall.. Along with his friends and family, Brandon Fusco stared at the television,watching... Read more »

Slippery Rock denied playoff berth

Slippery Rock denied  playoff berth

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

On Wednesday night, the Slippery Rock University women's basketball team welcomed the Lock Haven Lady Eagles (6-15, 3-14 PSAC) to the Morrow Fieldhouse for a PSAC-West match. Another consecutive nail-biter for fans of either team, the game had eight ties and eight lead changes as well as featuring... Read more »

Rock ladies fall to Clarion

Rock ladies fall to Clarion

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Sports

Going into Saturday evening, the Slippery Rock Women’s basketball team was riding a five game losing streak, a streak that they hoped to end against PSAC-West rival Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Entering the contest, the Crimson Hawks (15-5 overall, 10-4 PSAC) were ranked third in the PSAC-West... Read more »

Lady Knights hand Rock conference loss

Lady Knights hand Rock conference loss

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

During the six-week winter vacation, the Slippery Rock University women’s basketball team was hard at work, both on the practice court, as well as during competition. The Green and White played eleven games over the break, with the team earning three wins and eight losses overall. The three... Read more »

Rock women drop two PSAC matches

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
December 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women's basketball team's first taste of Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference action proved to be more difficult than expected over the weekend, suffering a defeat in both games bringing the season record to 1-4 (0-2 PSAC). The Rock has now lost four games in a row. Bloomsburg... Read more »

Rock drops lead in final minutes

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women’s basketball team participated in their third consecutive non-conference game on Nov. 17 against the University of Charleston. The Rock led the contest 54-48 with 13 minutes remaining before the Golden Eagles began to score and pull away. The lead eventually became... Read more »

New talent on the court for the Rock

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 16, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock women’s basketball team opened their regular season last Friday at Morrow Field House with a nail biting victory over the Urbana University Blue Knights with a final score of 89-87. The 89-point mark is higher than any score achieved throughout last season. SRU trailed the Blue Knights... Read more »

Women’s XC places sixth

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

Prior to the start of the season, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference conducted a coaches poll to estimate where the teams would finish up the seasons. In that poll, the Slippery Rock women's cross country team was picked to finish fifth, and this past Saturday they placed sixth at the PSAC... Read more »

Women’s XC places sixth

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

Case qualifies for NCAA DII Nationals

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

Senior Stephanie Case led the Slippery Rock University women's cross country team to a seventh place overall finish at the NCAA Division II Atlantic Regionals last Saturday at Lock Haven University with her national-qualifying fourth place finish. The top five overall runners and the top three teams... Read more »

Case leads team on and off the course

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
October 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

Race-day Fridays have a certain ritual for senior Stephanie Case. Wake up, eat a quick breakfast, go to class, fit in a quick lunch, finish class around 5 p.m., and rush to get to the course in time for the race, all while the anxiety and queasy stomach follow her around throughout the duration of the... Read more »

Case remains unbeaten, leads team to first place

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 28, 2012
Filed under Sports

Keeping her perfect season going, senior Stephanie Case claimed first place at the Lock Haven Invitational this past weekend and led the Slippery Rock women's cross country team to a first place finish overall. Completing the race with a time of 21:31, there were no other collegiate runners within... Read more »

Women’s XC takes second at Mack Cooper Classic

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

Remaining unbeaten on the year, senior Stephanie Case dominated the 6,000-meter course at the Mack Cooper Classic in 22:25, leading the Slippery Rock women’s cross country team to a second place team finish last Friday. First place was taken by Wayne State, second by the Rock, and placing third... Read more »

Women’s Cross Country

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
September 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock University senior Stephanie Case finished in first place at the Daniel Walker Invitational this past weekend, completing the 5,000-meter race in 18:23. Case guided the Rock to a second place overall finish with 59 points, behind the women of Edinboro University, who won the meet with... Read more »

Women’s Cross Country

Matthew Morgan, Rocket Contributor
August 31, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Coaches Poll projects the Slippery Rock University women's cross country team to finish fifth out of the sixteen teams in the conference this year. The defending champion Shippensburg University received 12 of 16 first-place votes, making them the favorites... Read more »