SGA releases statement about alleged violation of election rules

0
627

The Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) Election Commission released a statement Monday regarding an alleged violation of the election rules of the current election campaign period.

This alleged violation includes the use of the official SRSGA Instagram account to support some, but not all candidates running for E-board positions.

“A candidate and the organization were misrepresented on social media as supporting one candidate over the other,” the statement said. “Both individual impersonation and false misrepresentation of the SRSGA will not be tolerated. This is unethical and by no means condoned by SRSGA and the Election Commission.”

SGA apologized to students running for the current E-board positions and the general student body for the alleged incident. SGA also said they will be conducting further internal investigations.

“The Election Commission reserves the right to take further action according to what the investigation reveals,” the statement said.

The SGA Election Commission did not respond to initial request for comment.

Nina is a freshman majoring in communications: converged journalism. She has always wanted to be a journalist. In the beginning, around elementary school, she wanted to become an author and write a New York Times Bestseller. But since then, she has taken many English and journalism classes, and so her views of becoming that bestselling author altered dramatically. During high school, she was on the school newspaper staff freshman year to senior year. She also was the Editor In Chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. As for her goals currently, she aspires to become a journalist for The New York Times. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix, but specifically Friends. She is thrilled to be The Rocket’s assistant news editor, and she can’t wait to see what SRU has in store for her in the future.

Previous articleReduce, reuse, recycle: Sustainability on campus
Next articleSRU’s “Passport to Success” orientation experience to go virtual
Nina Cipriani