Sports editor takes pride in working with ‘best minds in communication department’

Published by adviser, Author: Brian Hepfinger, Date: April 30, 2015
1
959

Over the past four years, I’ve been blessed to be a part of one of the top student-run newspapers in Pennsylvania.

During the first three years of my college career at Slippery Rock University, I was able to contribute for The Rocket. That experience showed me the way to what it means to write for a newspaper. I covered many sports over the three years, and each year I improved.

After I was extremely familiar with how amazing The Rocket truly is, I decided to apply for the sports editor position last spring. I was unsure of whether or not I would be offered the position, but I was very fortunate that it happened.

At that time, I was still unsure of whether or not I made the right decision to be in communication, let alone journalism. However, the second I was informed that I would be the next sports editor, all of those doubts and questions evaporated. I had a newfound confidence and hope for myself.

Now that I’ve been the sports editor for an entire school year, I’ve learned so many things. My skills with InDesign, writing and teamwork have been raised to new levels.

I’ve had the pleasure of working with some of the best minds in the Communication Department as well. My coworkers have always been very supportive and helpful, and that’s something you can’t really ask for.

I’ve also had the privilege of learning more and more about myself during my time as the sports editor. I’ve been able to see how hard I can work if I care about it and make the effort. I set a goal for myself at the beginning of the year to be at least an hour ahead of our deadline each week, and I did that.

Being a part of The Rocket staff has been one of the greatest experiences in my life. Learning from other people and making myself better each and every day has been a blessing. When I first started out as a contributor, I never imagined that I would someday be the sports editor; I didn’t have that confidence. But, after three years of learning from three different sports editors and from journalism classes, I took that knowledge and skill into the sports editor position.

All in all, it’s been a great experience for me at Slippery Rock University, and The Rocket was the main reason for that. I found a great organization that I am proud to say I was a part of. That’s something I will always cherish.

1 COMMENT

1. “I’ve had the pleasure of working with some of the best minds in the Communication Department as well as Kevin Squires, the best editor-in-chief I could ask to work with.” (You were missing the end of your sentence- I fixed it for you.)