Rock drops road game at Walsh, falls to 1-2-1

Published by , Date: September 19, 2019
The Rock has yet to beat Walsh in three meetings.

The Slippery Rock University men’s soccer team (1-2-1) visited Walsh University (4-0-0) Saturday evening, but returned home with a 2-1 defeat. It was the hosts’ third win in as many tries against the Rock.

SRU reeled off three shots in the game’s first ten minutes, all of which were deflected by the Cavaliers’ Ethan Burawa. Allowing only one shot, in the first minute, the Rock defense would stall the Cavaliers’ attack for the remainder of the period and the Green and White would get the ball toward the net five more times in that span. But, neither sophomore Abdallah Bangura nor junior Ale Okuma would quite be able to turn their opportunities into a product on the scoreboard.

Following the goalless first half, Walsh defender Nathan Kett made use of a crosser from teammate Dwight Van Dyke in the 56th minute, pushing his team ahead, 1-0.

Four minutes later, senior defender Anthony Werth booted a penalty kick into the back of the Cavaliers’ net, evening the scoreboard.

The teams would trade chances until the 84th minute, when Van Dyke made an offensive difference again, scoring what would be the game-winning marker off of an assist from Myles Cornwall. The goal came four minutes after SRU’s Alejandro Fernandez was denied a go-ahead tally of his own by Burawa.

Along with Werth’s score, junior defender Hayden Seifert recorded three shots. Bangura, Okuma, and Fernandez chipped in with two shots each. Junior forward Sean Tinney also had a shot.

The Rock closed the game with the shot advantage (12-10) and had twice as many shots on goal.

Slippery Rock now has not claimed an away contest in almost 23 months, its last road triumph coming on October 25, 2017. The Green and White will not get an opportunity to break the winless streak until this Wednesday, when it will meet up with Lock Haven.

Before then, however, the Rock has a home tilt with the University of the District of Columbia at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. The Firebirds are headed by SRU alum and former head coach Matt Thompson.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here