Throwers pave way for men’s outdoor track

Sophomore Nate Zigler leaps over the high jump bar during the Dave Lavor Invitational at the Mihalik-Thompson Stadium last weekend. Zigler cleared 1.73 meters at the meet and tied for fifth place.

Alex Mowrey

Alex Mowrey

Christian Stangroom, Rocket Contributor

Eleven out of the 19 PSAC qualifying marks achieved by the Slippery Rock men’s outdoor track and field team were met by throwers at the Dave Labor Invitational.

The Dave Lavor Invite is the first of two home meets that SRU holds throughout the season. The next home meet will be on April 17.

Sophomore David Reinhardt won the discus and hammer throw with a 45.40 meter throw in discus, and a toss of 50.32 meters in the hammer throw.

“Dave has been doing well in the throws,” head coach John Papa said. ” Coaches Meagan Shadeck and Bill Jordan have done an outstanding job managing his practice time and making all of his throwing events come together. To do well in hammer, discus, javelin and shot takes a great effort and commitment to the sport.

Dave is to be commended for his outstanding effort.”

Reinhardt was followed by four SRU hammer throwers who also reached the PSAC qualifying mark.

Junior Trevor Miller took second place with a toss of 48.19 meters, senior Billy Martin took third with a toss of 47.52 meters, junior Nick Garuccio took fifth with a throw of 45.43 meters, and junior Nick Turk placed sixth with 44.77 meter toss.

Martin also followed Reinhardt in the discus with a third place finish of 46.58 meters.

Miller won the shot put event with a 14.59 meter throw to lead sophomore Kaleb Kingston who took second with a throw of 14.34 meters. Reinhardt took third in the event with an effort of 13.70 meters.

Redshirt freshman Tyler Kachelries was the last SRU thrower to reach the PSAC standard. Kachelries took third place in javelin with a throw of 56.06 meters.

“There were a lot of great competitors, which made for an interesting meet,” Kachelries said. “I was having some trouble with my form, so I am glad to place in the position I did.”

The 4×100-meter and 4×400-meter relays picked up wins this weekend. Senior Trevor Foley reached the PSAC standard in the 400 meter hurdles by running a 54.99 second race, winning the event.

Foley was followed by senior Nathaniel Helfferich in third with a 56.00 second race. Junior Hunter Williams had a personal best time in the 100-meter dash with a 10.94 second sprint.

Senior Morgan Elliot ran a 1:55.14 in the 800-meter run to take second and reach the PSAC standard. Junior Ryan Thompson took 2nd in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:59.77.

The high jump was won by senior Victor Santoyo with a leap of 1.93 meters. Santoyo later took third in the long jump with a jump of 6.59 meters. Both of these scores were PSAC qualifying marks.

The final PSAC qualifying performance came from freshman Jordan Pacheco.  Pacheco finished second in the pole vault with a clearance of 4.65 meters.

The Green and White  have two meets this weekend. Some athletes will attend Bucknell University for a two-day meet, while others attend George Mason University on Saturday