Slippery Rock gets first win of the season

Published by adviser, Author: Kristin Karam - Assistant Sports Editor, Date: September 7, 2012

After settling with two double overtime ties at the SRU Soccer Tournament, Slippery Rock’s men’s soccer team swept Seton Hill University 6-1 on Wednesday to advance their record to 1-0-2.

The Rock began their season with the SRU Soccer Tournament against Ashland University last Friday night.
Junior defender Joshua Gray scored an early goal for the Green and White at the 20:21 minute mark.

Slippery Rock maintained control of the game until the second half of the game when tempers began to rise for both teams. By the end of the game, the referees issued nine cautions, one ejection, and over 40 fouls.
The most influential foul of the game came at the 75:10 mark when Jamie Dollar was given a penalty kick inside the box.

Despite great effort by senior goalkeeper Clayton Master, Dollar made a high left kick to tie the game 1-1.

Ashland and Slippery Rock were forced into double overtime and settled for a tie after neither team was able to produce a goal.

“We have to have a more killer instinct to finish games, and at no point can we think we’ve won until the final whistle blows,” Master said.

Saturday gave the team a day to practice, recover, and prepare for the final game of the tournament against Tiffin University at 2:30 P.M. on Sunday.

Sophomore midfielder Anthony Jack recorded the first goal for the Rock in the sixth minute of the game after rebounding a free kick.

Sophomore forward Chris Davis moved the Green and White to a 2-0 lead at the 14:01 mark with an assist from junior midfielder Mike Roopchandsingh.

Tiffin’s Eddison Benda cut the lead in half in the 35th minute of the game.

Davis connected with Roopchandsingh again during the second half to give Slippery Rock another two-goal lead at the 50-minute mark.

Cedrik Bruce-Kotey scored for Tiffin at the 75-minute mark and again with 46 seconds left in regulation.

The Rock was sent into overtime again and fought hard but were again made to settle with a double overtime tie of 3-3.

Wednesday’s game against Seton Hill gave the Green and White a chance to push through their weaknesses.

“The tournament showed some of our strengths and things we need to improve,” Master said. “We’re a relatively new team so we haven’t quite gelled, although glimpses are there.”

SRU entered the game ready to prove themselves and take their first win of the season.

Within the first 15 minutes of the game, they recorded two goals.

Roopchandsingh took an assist from senior defender Drew Donoghue and sophomore forward Stephen Donnelly scored his first goal of the season.
Davis got his third to improve the Rock’s lead to 3-0.

In the 66th minute of the game, Donnelly found the goal again to take the score to 4-0.

“It felt great being able to grab two goals,” Donnelly said. “It was a great team performance overall, everyone worked really well together.”

Freshman midfielder Max Aronica tallied his first collegiate goal in the 77th minute, improving the score to 5-0.

In the 79th minute, Seton Hill’s Joe Tchimou ended the chances of a shutout, making the score 5-1.

Senior forward Michael Ramirez sealed the deal for the Green and White with a late goal in the 87th minute.

The Rock posted a 19-11 advantage in total shots, 12-5 in shots on goal, and 5-2 in corner kicks.

Slippery Rock will go on the road for the first time this season when they head to Alderson-Broaddus College tomorrow for a 4:30 p.m.  non-conference matchup.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here