Taking off, graduating staffer recalls great experience

Published by adviser, Author: Chris Gordon - Assistant News Editor, Date: April 27, 2016
0
1205

I was hired onto The Rocket staff a year ago and now, as a senior, I’m getting ready to leave. I’m keen to ask, “what’s changed this past year?”

Honestly, there’s still a lot I don’t know. I still can’t spell definitely without autocorrect, I still can’t explain photosynthesis, despite that general bio class and I still have no true reason to prefer Nike over Adidas.  All things considered, I’m relatively the same person I was a year ago. What’s changed, however, is my experience.

When you’re part of a student newspaper, it seems like someone is always mad at you, someone is always praising you and someone is always asking why your story didn’t go further.  Working for The Rocket taught me to balance my time; managing these voices buzzing in my ear and excelling academically as well.  Many stressful weeks I contemplated bailing on my stories, but I knew I owed it my section, my staff and myself to finish the job.

Being a part of this staff has expanded my social circle in a way that’s been meaningful to me.  Our office became my second home; I’m confident that five days out of seven I spent far more time here than at my apartment.  Through bickering, gossip and plenty of laughter, a random assortment of 12 staffers became the close-knit circle we are today.  I’ll certainly miss testing obnoxious Snapchat filters with Emily, talking social justice with Victoria and bashing the sports section, despite my appreciation for Ryan and Cody. Though my time on staff was short, I wouldn’t have shared the experience with any other group.

So even though I’m taking off, I’m bringing with me a lot. I’m leaving with the connections I’ve made, the portfolio I’ve developed and all the wonderful experiences that made the work worthwhile. I wish I could have stuck around longer, but there’s a bright future ahead.

No matter how far each of us venture, we’ll always have this year in common. I’m proud to have been a part of the 2015-2016 Rocket staff.