The Slippery Rock Student Government Association’s (SGA) are holding the executive board elections during the spring 2020 semester, and the senate elections will be postponed until the beginning of the fall 2020 semester due to students moving to online classes.

Junior and SGA President Nicole Dunlop said she and the rest of the executive board thought this option was the best for the student body.

“By having it in the fall, we believe that we can have record participation and fill all seats on senate in a fair and equal manner,” Dunlop said.

Dunlop said they are currently working on a timeline for the upcoming election process and should have it decided as soon as possible.

“This may cause some other issues, but I have faith in this plan and have strong support from the election commission as well as members of our current E-board,” Dunlop said.

SGA is still planning on using election packets and signature forms, but they are cutting the number of signatures required in half for all vice president and president packets. The amount of signatures required for senator positions will remain the same.

“We realize that this may be inconvenient for some students,” Dunlop said. “But at the end of the day the benefits of all students was considered. This is an unparalleled decision in a stressful and hectic time.”

The CORE package for E-board elections is now available on the SRSGA CORE page.

“We hope that all SRU students have an interest in these E-Board elections,” Senator Pat Noonan said. “We understand that these are unprecedented times, but we are still one SRU community and these elections are important in deciding the future of the SRSGA. If you are a student who is interested in running, all the documents regarding the election process are located on core.”

The Rocket is committed to bringing you the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak. We have a section on our website with complete coverage HERE.

Nina is a freshman majoring in communications: converged journalism. She has always wanted to be a journalist. In the beginning, around elementary school, she wanted to become an author and write a New York Times Bestseller. But since then, she has taken many English and journalism classes, and so her views of becoming that bestselling author altered dramatically. During high school, she was on the school newspaper staff freshman year to senior year. She also was the Editor In Chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. As for her goals currently, she aspires to become a journalist for The New York Times. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix, but specifically Friends. She is thrilled to be The Rocket’s assistant news editor, and she can’t wait to see what SRU has in store for her in the future.

Previous articleInternational students still have a home at SRU
Next articleStudents are in this together
Nina Cipriani