The Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) met Monday evening to discuss multiple finance motions, including the appointment of a new Building B senator and approval of the racial inclusion proclamation.

Kordell Hawkins, senior political science major, was appointed as a Building B senator.

SGA approved the racial inclusion proclamation made by President Nicole Dunlop.

SGA’s motion to support the Nellie Bly Scholarship Fund initiative from Governor Tom Wolf was passed with 4 abstentions.

Men’s Club Volleyball’s request of $6,000 was approved. The funds will help to fund the expenses of the team going to Nationals in Kansas. These funds will go directly toward hotel lodging, flights and National registration.

SGA approved the request of NAMI on campus for $500. The funds will fund various events this semester and NAMI Prom in April. These funds will go directly toward advertising, supplies, equipment rental, decorations and food.

Men’s Rugby’s request of $1,295 was approved. The funds will fund four tournaments for the team during the spring semester. These funds will go directily toward the Cherry Blossom Rugby tournament, NSCRO 7’s, Tropical Rugby 7’s and Cal U 7’s.

SGA approved Triathlon Club’s request of $4,087.92. The funds will help fund the expenses of Nationals for the team. These funds will go directly toward National registration fees, housing, four USAT membership fees and entry fees.

Ultimate Frisbee’s request of $3,481.80 was approved. The funds will fund travel expenditures, USA memberships and tournament fees for the organization throughout the spring semester.

SGA approved Brass Ensemble’s request of $8,325. The funds will go toward purchasing a new Besson BE2056 Prestige Series Baritone.

Alpha Psi Omega’s funding request of $50 was approved. The funds will go toward during advertising for any events and general body meetings that they plan to hold during the spring semester.

SGA approved supporting the homelessness and housing insecurity committee’s case statement to President Behre.

SGA also approved the motion to dissolve the restructuring committee.

SGA’s next formal meeting will be on March 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the Smith Student Center Theater.

Nina is a freshman majoring in communications: converged journalism. She has always wanted to be a journalist. In the beginning, around elementary school, she wanted to become an author and write a New York Times Bestseller. But since then, she has taken many English and journalism classes, and so her views of becoming that bestselling author altered dramatically. During high school, she was on the school newspaper staff freshman year to senior year. She also was the Editor In Chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. As for her goals currently, she aspires to become a journalist for The New York Times. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix, but specifically Friends. She is thrilled to be The Rocket’s assistant news editor, and she can’t wait to see what SRU has in store for her in the future.

Previous articleWinless at Hammermill no longer, SRU takes down Gannon
Next articleRock softball’s blend of experience and youth projected to finish fourth in PSAC West
Nina Cipriani