Catharyn Burton, Advertising Manager

Published by adviser, Date: August 15, 2016
0
1177

I came into Slippery Rock University undecided about my major and I soon found that I enjoyed the communication classes more than any other.  I wasn’t sure what path I wanted to take but I knew I would be able to improve my abilities and cultivate my interests with this major. After declaring a double major in dance and communications I soon realized that I was able to combine my passion for the arts and culture into one major and declared a major in Integrated Marketing Communications. I realized that I could do PR or advertising work for dance companies or businesses within cultural districts, which is my goal after I graduate this year. I applied for this position at The Rocket after taking a news writing class and realizing my interest in the media and its different platforms. As a senior this will be my first and last year a part of The Rocket Staff, but I am very excited to take on the new challenges and opportunities the advertising manager position will bring to me.  Outside of The Rocket I work in the Electronic Tech Center at the SGA Bookstore and I have been working with the Office of Multicultural Development since my sophomore year. Through the OMD office I created and helped to create various events such as a fashion showcase for women’s history month and a poetry slam for black history month. I served as a member of the Executive Board for Black Action Society where I was in charge of Public Relations. And I will be doing the same this year for S.O.L (students for Hispanics, Latinas and allies). Throughout my years at Slippery Rock I have also been involved with organizations such as Internations Club, Sister to Sister, SUMA, and many more. Aside from student organizations I am also a mentor for the Jumpstart Program, which I also helped to plan this summer. Involvement on campus is very important to me and with me time at The Rocket I hope that I will be able to meet knew people and promote awareness of student organizations to the Slippery Rock students and community.