Tennis finishes fall season with back to back shutouts

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Viola Lugmayr hits the ball during the team's 6-1 win over Daemen College earlier this season.

Karl Ludwig, Rocket Contributor

Like clockwork, the Slippery Rock women’s tennis team finished yet another perfect fall schedule.

Coming into the weekend Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) matches, The Rock rode high following junior Lacey Cohen’s PSAC championship and a 6-0 victory over non-conference Daemen College the weekend before.

The Rock found a way to turn the intensity up a notch. A 6-0 dismantling of Kutztown University and a 7-0 domination of Millersville University saw the Green and White drop just 25 points over the 18 matches played.

Not truly being tested against the Golden Bears, each woman on the squad went 1-0 in both singles and doubles matches. Freshman Lois Page and junior Viola Lugmayr picked up a victory in No. 1 doubles play, 6-3. Four Rock athletes – junior Lacey Cohen, sophomore Olivia Warner, sophomore Lauren Fadden, and senior Allie Welch – each collected 6-0, 6-0 singles victories while Page and Lugmayr won in straight sets.

More of the same continued for the Green and White Sunday against the Marauders as each Rock victory came in straight sets. Page and Lugmayr were nearly flawless in a 6-1 triumph while Cohen and Warner breezed to a 6-0 victory. The Rock doubles pairings went 6-0 over the weekend to collect every possible point.

In six singles matches, each member of the squad picked up straight-set victories against the Marauders. Only eight points allowed in those six games showed a Rock squad that was completely dialed in. Cohen, Page, Fadden, and Welch all notched straight-set victories by only giving up a single point each.

Cohen, the PSAC women’s singles champion, dropped just four points all weekend. Playing from the one slot, Cohen defeated Yasmeen Malik of Kutztown, 6-0, 6-0 followed by a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Jasmine Morris of Millersville. Cohen and Warner played from the number two doubles slot and picked up 6-3 and 6-0 wins against Kutztown and Millersville, respectively.

For the third consecutive year, the Green and White have gone unbeaten in the fall. This fall saw The Rock go 3-0 with two PSAC victories. Another successful fall season for The Rock was just what head coach Matt Meredith hoped to see from his young squad.

The play of Cohen a pleasant but hardly unexpected surprise, Page taking vast strides in her first taste of team collegiate tennis and an unreal display of depth punctuated an undefeated term perfectly.

With the two conference wins, The Rock finished the fall portion of the schedule and will resume play in the spring term.