Lehman elected parliamentarian, SGA approves employee salary increases

SGA+President+Dallas+Kline+swears+in+Eric+Lehman+as+parliamentarian+on+Monday+night.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

SGA President Dallas Kline swears in Eric Lehman as parliamentarian on Monday night.

Hannah Shumsky

Hannah Shumsky

Hannah Shumsky

Hannah Shumsky, Assistant News Editor

At Monday night’s formal meeting, Student Government Association (SGA) appointed a new parliamentarian, approved five finance motions and salary increases for SGA employees.

SGA President Dallas Kline recommended Eric Lehman, a sophomore early childhood/special education major, for parliamentarian. Lehman was one of four applicants interviewed by Kline for the position.

“He was really engaged,” Kline said. “He showed a lot of initiative.”

The motion to approve Lehman was passed with two abstentions from Chadwick Burdick, vice president of campus outreach, and Logan Tupper, vice president of finance. As parliamentarian, Lehman will oversee meetings to ensure that the senate is following Robert’s Rules of Order as well as chair the Rules and Policies Committee.

Lehman said that SGA’s presence and impact on the campus and community led him to apply for the position.

“The impact SGA has not only on the campus alone but on the community is so great, and to be involved in something so great for the community and campus is just an amazing thing,” Lehman said.

Kline summarized the academic and student affairs update from Mary Hennessey, assistant to the provost. More than 100 international students from 38 countries attend SRU, according to the Global Engagement section of the report. To read the full report, click here.

Elizabeth Hernandez, vice president of academic and student affairs, provided a student safety update after meeting with Paul Novak, director of planning and environmental health and safety. According to Hernandez, 90 percent of classrooms have locks. Classrooms will also have a sign with procedures to follow in case of an active shooter situation.

Prior to Monday night’s meeting, the senate met in an executive session to discuss a motion to increase SGA employee salaries. During the formal meeting, the motion passed with one abstention from Taylor Cochran, speaker of the senate, who was absent from the executive session.

Tupper stated that he felt the salary increases were justified after Wendy Leitera, SGA executive director, spoke to the senate during the executive session.

“She justified in the way that she said that she has a very small staff between the bookstore, childcare center and co-op office, and that they’ve overperformed year after year in their reviews,” Tupper said.

Leitera also discussed the annual vending commission agreement for the American Federal of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). SGA manages the contract for vending commissions, which funds stipends for student leaders. In the approved agreement, 2.5 percent of the commission from vending machines on campus will support AFSCME.

Recreational Golf Club was approved as a recognized organization. The organization will not be competitive, separating the recreational club from the club team.   

SGA approved a first-time funding request of $250 for Young Progressives, which was established in spring 2017. The funding will be used for advertising.

SGA approved two new initiative requests totaling $3,982.55 for Film Society. The requests will fund lodging fees and part of the airfare expenses for eight students to attend the New Orleans Film Fest; the registration fees and remaining part of the airfare expenses will be paid by the communication department. SGA also approved Interfraternity Council’s new initiative request of $317.62, which will be used to add Theta Chi to the fraternity and sorority sign at the main entrance of campus.

In capital requests, SGA approved a request of $2,298 from the University Program Board (UPB) for a new Mac computer. UPB’s current Mac, which is five years old, is no longer functioning. The new Mac will be primarily used for the Media Relations committee, led by Willem van der Wende, to create video and picture content.

During his report, Burdick recognized the Panhellenic Council with the Award for Student Club and Organization Excellence. According to Taylor Bronowicz, vice president of recruitment, over 80 new members joined a sorority during recruitment.

SGA’s next formal meeting will be on Oct. 1 at 7:30 p.m. in the Smith Student Center Ballroom. Senators will vote to fulfill the open senate positions at this meeting.