Women’s basketball ends five game losing skid

Sophomore forward LeeAnn Gibson rushes into the paint during the team's 53-67 home loss to IUP last week.

Stephen Cukovich, Assistant Sports Editor

Rock women’s basketball ended their five-game losing streak when the team defeated Mercyhurst University (9-14) Wednesday night 68-66 to improve their record to 11-12.

With the win, the Green and White hold on to the sixth and final playoff spot in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) West with a 9-9 record in conference play.  Edinboro University and Indiana University (Pa) both sit atop the West with 19-2 overall records, but Edinboro holds the tiebreaker with a better conference record at 15-2.

The Rock offense shot 45.6 percent from the field, while the defense held the Lakers to a low 31.7 field goal percentage.  From the free throw line The Rock shot 66.7 percent on the day, which is significantly lower than their 74.2 success rate for the season which is third best in the PSAC.  Success from beyond the arch was on point as well for The Rock shooting 47.1 percent.

In the first quarter, the Green and White was able to rack up 21 points, while holding the Lakers to only 11 points, but Mercyhurst was able to level it out only being outscored by one point in the second to make the score 36-25 at the half.

To start the second half, The Rock kept firing away and was able to stretch their lead out to 17 points with 6:30 left in the third quarter.  The Lakers ended the quarter on a 15-7 run while outscoring The Rock 24-17 in the fourth quarter, but it wasn’t enough as SRU walked away with the win 68-66.

Sophomore guard Brooke Hinderliter lead the Green and White offense with 18 points, while going seven of 12 from the field with a steal and a block to boot.  Junior forward Morgan Henderson pitched in with 9 points as she went four of seven from the field.

Only four games remain for The Rock with their next matchup coming on Saturday when they play host to last place in the West Clarion University (7-16) with the game starting at 1:00 p.m. at Morrow Field House.