OIE kicks off Black History Month at SRU

Haley Potter and Eric Davies

Angela Jacoway, Rocket Contributor

On Thursday, Feb. 1 from 12:30 p.m. until 1 p.m., the Office for Inclusive Excellence (OIE) held the Black History Month Kickoff.

The OIE is designed to offer academic and social support for students to be able to connect with the university community, as well as creating opportunities for all students to explore and celebrate cultures and identities in a safe and supportive atmosphere.

This event was held in the Smith Student Center Theater and was all about educating individuals on the past, as well as empowering them for the future. In addition, the kickoff was held to celebrate all that has happened in the past and present.

The OIE offered different informational sections that included educating individuals on the National Panhellenic Council (NPHC) and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). The NPHC is an organization that includes nine historically African American Greek-lettered sororities and fraternities. The NAACP is a civil rights organization created as a bi-racial organization to advance justice for African Americans.

Assistant Director of Multicultural Development Keisha Booker was in charge of this event and successfully organized an event that educated individuals on the past and present, as well as empowering them for the future.