Hard work paid off for Rocket

Erica Kurvach, Commentary
May 9, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Well this year at the Rocket was a blast. I really enjoyed connecting with the campus more each week and learning how to be a better writer and reporter. I got a lot of practice in writing ledes and coming up with story ideas. One of the challenges that I faced were coming up with story ideas since Slippery... Read more »

Safety Management Department seeking renovations

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
May 2, 2013
Filed under News

The Safety Management Department has been finding sources to raise $6 million for their new design plan to enhance their laboratory classrooms in the Strain Behavioral Science Building. They are planning to improve a construction lab and a general industry lab, new sites yet to be determined. “The... Read more »

Norton discusses enrollment at State of University address

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
April 25, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

Slippery Rock University continues to see a declining student enrollment with 560 less new freshman applications compared to their full-time freshman unit goal of 1550. The tuition and state appropriations for the 2013 to 2014 budget is unknown except the state government has suggested flat funding.... Read more »

SRU education students use Taskstream for portfolios

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
April 18, 2013
Filed under News

All incoming freshmen, transfer and incoming graduate education students will be mandated to use Taskstream starting in the fall semester to create an online portfolio. Most Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) schools are already using Taskstream. Students have to pay a $25 subscription... Read more »

Energy dashboards to save SRU millions

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
April 11, 2013
Filed under News

New software will be installed into a prototype energy dashboard that will be placed into Watson Hall by the end of this month to monitor total energy usage in the building, teaching students how to conserve energy. Eventually, Residence Halls A through F will display these monitors which show the... Read more »

Title IX goes beyond women’s sports issues

Erica Kurvach, Rocket News Editor
April 4, 2013
Filed under News

Since 1975, Title IX protected women and men from sex discrimination in education. “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal... Read more »

SRU Waste Prevention confirms recycling program

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
March 28, 2013
Filed under News

Some students say that the university does not recycle, but is this true? Paul Scanlon, a special assistant to the President and a member of the Commission of Sustainability, reveals that this myth is busted. Scanlon said that SGA Vice President of Student Affairs, Jim Henry, showed him a SGA Survey... Read more »

Diversity and Inclusion commission hosts annual series

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Staff Reporter
March 7, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

SRU hosted its fourth annual Diversity and Inclusion Series in the Smith Student Center Ballroom this week to help educate the campus about individual and collective thoughts and voices, one of the Tenets of Higher Education. The three-day event featured SRU’s faculty, students, alumni and external... Read more »

Student Nonprofit Alliance collects 10,000 books for Sandy Hook

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
February 28, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, News

Slippery Rock University’s Student Nonprofit Alliance collected nearly 10,000 children books across the country by this month to honor Sandy Hook Elementary School students who were just learning how to read. “I think we’ve hardly anyone in America who weren’t impacted by it,” Ms. Alice... Read more »

University offers fair appeal process for grades

Erica Kurvach, Rocket News Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under News

A Lehigh University student sued her school over her grade, but the court overruled the case. “I’m not surprised they threw out the case,” Eliott Baker, the executive Director for Academic Records, Summer School and Graduate Studies, said. He said that SRU has never been sued for grades.... Read more »

Winter Session course prices rise three percent: More students choose to take classes over extended winter break

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Staff Reporter
February 14, 2013
Filed under News

Winter Session enrollment increased this year, even as prices rose three percent, the current rate of inflation. According to SRU Student Accounts, last year the total cost for a three credit hour semester undergraduate, web-based course was $903 for Pa. residents. This year the price went up to... Read more »

University welcomes new Provost for Academic Affairs

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Staff Reporter
February 7, 2013
Filed under News

Provost William Williams retired on Feb. 8 after 10 years in academic affairs. Williams started his position on Jan. 2, 2003. He said that his life in the past 10 years has been structured around this institution and that he needs time off. He will be taking a two to three-month break after retirement. “I... Read more »

Faculty hope Chancellor’s resignation will lead to improved negotiations

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
February 3, 2013
Filed under News

In the midst of ongoing contract negotiations with APSCUF, Chancellor Dr. John C. Cavanaugh will be leaving the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education at the end of February for a job in Washington D.C. Cavanaugh, who has been the executive director at PASSHE since July of 2008, announced... Read more »

SRU Senior wins PennACE student of the year for interning at nonprofit in Jamaica

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
December 7, 2012
Filed under News

The first SRU student to win the PennACE JoAnne Day Student of the Year won $500 in the nonprofit category for the statewide competition this year. The other two winners are Emily Galli, Penn State University, for the technical category and Jennifer Hoppe, Millersville University for business. Galli... Read more »

SRU biology professor receives $50,000 grant

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
November 30, 2012
Filed under News

A SRU biology professor and University of Pittsburgh collaborators received a $50, 000 three-year research grant from the National Institute of Health to better understand the cause of health problems including Alzheimer’s disease and cystic fibrosis. When Dr. Stacy Hrizo, a SRU biology professor,... Read more »

Upper campus parking lot project put on hold

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
November 30, 2012
Filed under News

The $800,000 construction project for the Kraus Hall parking lot was to be finished by this past summer, but the project was put on hold last spring due to the cost. The new parking lot would have given Rhoads and North Hall residents and students with classes on upper campus more convenient spaces... Read more »

New provost will be announced soon

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
November 16, 2012
Filed under News

President Norton has received the provost finalist surveys and their summaries on Friday to evaluate and decide on the next provost and vice president for academic affairs. The date it will be announced is unknown. The announcement may be delayed depending on how much time Norton will have due to... Read more »

Search for new SRU Provost continues

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
November 8, 2012
Filed under News

The Provost Search Committee has been surveying five out of six provost finalists who have been visiting campus since October 18. Provost William Williams, who has held his title since 2003, is retiring by the end of this semester. The Provost Search Committee consists of a total 11 staff, faculty... Read more »

Professors allowed to commercialize personal research under new law

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
October 25, 2012
Filed under News

SRU professors plan to take advantage of the Commonwealth Higher Education Modernization Act that PASSHE Chancellor  John Cavanaugh presented last Thursday at an Entrepreneurial Forum. Last Thursday, Cavanaugh spoke about the new law that will allow PASSHE employees to commercialize intellectual... Read more »

SRU adopts new weapons policy

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
October 18, 2012
Filed under News

Share on email 1 The Slippery... Read more »

University celebrates new President

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
October 4, 2012
Filed under News

SRU inaugurated Dr. Cheryl Norton as the 16th president last Friday in the Quad. The Army ROTC and SRU Percussion Ensemble, faculty delegates, staff and student representatives marched from The Alumni House to the Quad in the Grand Entrance. Each college dean and speaker sat in the Gazebo during the... Read more »

Professors share class participation strategies

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
September 27, 2012
Filed under News

Faculty shared advice on classroom participation to improve student learning at Open Discussion: Cultivating and Evaluating Class Participation on Tuesday during common hour in room 202 in the Bailey Library. Dr. Timothy Oldakowski, an assistant English professor, led the discussion that allowed all... Read more »

TV Studio obtains new grant

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
September 21, 2012
Filed under News

The Communication Department was granted $232, 312 in HD equipment for the studio in Maltby Center. The studio will be geared up with industry-standard video cameras, controllers and monitors. Three JVC video cameras, a QGear/Prompter People 17 inch teleprompter kit, a NewTek HD production switcher... Read more »

New Dean introduced

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
September 13, 2012
Filed under News

Dr. Keith Dils, the new Dean of the College of Education, was 12 years old when his mother died from aplastic anemia, a disease where bone marrow stops making blood cells. “You know?” Dils said. “We have such a short period of time on this earth.” Dils said that the doctors did a lot of experimentation... Read more »

PASSHE schools show declining enrollment for second straight year

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
September 7, 2012
Filed under News

For the second straight year, Slippery Rock University witnessed a reduction in enrollment, a theme that has been consistent across all PASSHE schools. According to the Post-Gazette, in the past 14 years, the State System enrollment has raised 28 percent, which is an increase from 93,711 to 119,513... Read more »

Romney nomination causes debate among SRU students

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
September 7, 2012
Filed under News

Mitt Romney will need to do more to impress voters, as the candidate received low speech scores after the Republican National Convention last week. According to the Business Insider, 38 percent of Americans rated Romney’s acceptance speech as “good” or “excellent.” This Gallup poll score... Read more »

New state voter ID law causes concern for Democratic party

Erica Kurvach, Staff Reporter
August 31, 2012
Filed under News

Pennsylvania voters will have to present photo identification at the polls this November, after a judge ruled in favor of the Republican-backed law earlier this month. Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson said he believed the law would be carried out in a nonpartisan manner, striking down the complaint... Read more »

SRU second highest in performance funding in PA, according to study by Time Magazine

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Contributor
May 4, 2012
Filed under News

Slippery Rock University scored the second highest number of points in academic performance in the state in 2011. According to Time magazine on Apr. 25, SRU was recognized as one of the top schools who succeeded in performance.  SRU earned as much as $1.5 million a year in performance funding. The... Read more »

Students ‘die’ to protest budget cuts

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Contributor
May 4, 2012
Filed under News

The Student Government Association (SGA) held a flash-mob to spread the word about the proposed budget cuts to higher education at 12:15 p.m. to 12:30 p.m. on May 1 in the quad. In March, Governor Tom Corbett proposed a 20 percent cut to public higher education, including the 14 Pennsylvania State... Read more »

SGA proposes two changes to its constitution

Erica Kurvach, Rocket Contributor
April 27, 2012
Filed under News

The Student Government Association proposed two changes to its constitution during their meeting at 6 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Union, room 206. Zachariah Dornisch, a senior political science major and parliamentarian, shared about SGA’s most recent constitutional changes. The SGA president... Read more »