Council of Trustees appoint new student member

Senior Jairus Moore was appointed to serve in the student position on SRU's Council of Trustees.

Photo courtesy of Jairus Moore

Haley Potter, Rocket Contributor

The Council of Trustees of Slippery Rock University recently elected a new student trustee member to serve on the board.

Senior safety management major, Jairus Moore was the elected student to serve this position, which allows for Moore to be the voice for SRU students and actively serve to make the campus a better place.

Moore was recommended by a professor in the business department to run for the position back in November.

“After investigating exactly what a student trustee is, I felt that I was right for the position,” Moore said.

The student board of trustee’s member is a voice for the student body in relation to the university and community. There is only one student member on the board, so Moore is the representation of all students on SRU’s campus.

“I felt that I was a good fit to be an advocate for what would be best for our education,” Moore said.

Moore said that he wants to seem approachable so that students feel that they can come to him with problems regarding the university. He said that he is still learning the ins and outs of the position and will be attending a board meeting in a few weeks to better understand some of the future plans for the university.

“When I first received this position, a lot was going through my head. I knew this would be a big responsibility and a challenge, but as I gain insight, I realize that it will be rewarding.”

Moore also said that he knows some of the master plat for the campus, which includes major changes in the university community.

“Those changes will directly affect students [in areas] such as safety and education,” Moore said.

Moore was not on the Presidential search committee but had a vote in which two candidates would be pushed forward in the search to the Pennsylvania Board of Governors.

Moore is excited to take on this position and better himself as a leader and as a person. Some of his goals to begin this position include getting ideas and talking with students across campus, as well as having biweekly meetings with the president to ensure that he is taking the proper steps to better serve the university.

“I want to make sure that everything that we do as a university is for us, not for me, “Moore said. “My peers’ concerns will be taken into consideration.”