MTS performs songs from the silver screen

Junior Andrew Borcherding performs

Junior Andrew Borcherding performs "The Greatest Show" from "The Greatest Showman" during a dress rehearsal for MTS #Cabaret. Borcherding is directing the show which will take place Friday in the University Union MPR.

Carlee Smith, Rocket Contributor

If you don’t have anything planned for this Friday, you’re in luck, because the Slippery Rock University Musical Theatre Society (MTS) is performing its #Cabaret at 8 p.m.

The #Cabaret will feature songs from movies and television shows such as “The Greatest Showman”, “La La Land”, “Smash” and “Glee”. The one-night show will take place in the University Union’s Multi-Purpose Room (MPR) and costs $5 with a student ID or $7 for general admission.

The director for #Cabaret is Andrew Borcherding, a junior who also holds the position of MTS Treasurer. Borcherding will be performing “The Greatest Show” from “The Greatest Showman”, the 2017 musical movie starring Hugh Jackman and Zac Efron.

The upcoming one-night show taking place is the second one of the semester. The first cabaret that took place in March of this year was Broadway Showstoppers, directed by junior and Vice President of MTS Brody McKenna. McKenna’s show won the Rising Star award for best on-campus entertainment.

McKenna will be performing “Soul Man” from Drake and Josh, originally by the Blues Brothers, with junior Patrick Freed.

MTS usually has four cabarets per year, two each semester, but every other year the organization does a full musical production in the spring.

#Cabaret is “a big, diverse show full of everyone that loves to be here, all different majors,” Borcherding said.

Some of the songs featured  in this show include “Let it Grow” from “The Lorax” (2012), “The Hanging Tree” from “The Hunger Games” film series, “I’ve Had the Time of My Life” from “Dirty Dancing” and “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee” from Grease.

“The most difficult thing was just trying to teach all of the choreography and all of the voice parts and everything that goes into each number in like three weeks before we got to tech week which is what we’re in now,” Borcherding said of only having a month to get the production done. “It was just trying to get everyone on the same page, trying  to keep everyone up to date, making sure we weren’t moving backwards, making sure everyone was reviewing their stuff and just keeping us with everything which everyone has done a great job of so it’s going to be a good time.”

The #Cabaret is a one -night show that will take place on Friday, May 4 at 8 p.m. in the University Union MPR.

Keep up with MTS by following them on social media @SRUMTS and on their CORE page. All majors are welcome in the society.