Talented musical artists go unnoticed at The Grammys

+Rapper+Kendrick+Lamar+performs+a+medley+of+his+most+popular+songs+at+the+Grammys+on+Monday.
 Rapper Kendrick Lamar performs a medley of his most popular songs at the Grammys on Monday.

Photo courtesy of Tribune News Service

Photo courtesy of Tribune News Service

Amber Cannon, Campus Life Editor

The 2016 Grammy Awards premiered on Monday, and as an avid music lover, I was eagerly waiting for The Grammys to come. It’s an understatement to say that I was disappointed in The Grammys this year. Let’s be honest, I fell asleep at some points because of the level of boredom I felt while watching the award show.

First, let’s start with all the performance cancellations.

Rihanna, who I was very excited to watch perform, cancelled her performance. With Rihanna being at the top of the charts with her new song, “Work,” her not appearing at the Grammys caused a huge controversy on Twitter with many of her fans tweeting at the Grammys Twitter account.

R&B singer, Lauyrn Hill also didn’t show up to her performance at the Grammys, another performance I was anxiously waiting for.

On top of that, a lot of other celebrities were missing from the award show. Where was Nicki Minaj? Drake? Kanye West? Jennifer Lopez?

Two musical artists that really went unnoticed at the Grammys were J.Cole and Tori Kelly. Both artists didn’t win a single Grammy, despite their amazing songwriting and performing abilities.

Although J.Cole lost to my other favorite, Kendrick Lamar, he’s so underrated and it’s disappointing that the Grammys didn’t honor him. After all, he is the first rapper to go platinum without a feature song in over 25 years.

Tori Kelly has a voice of an angel, and everyone has noticed over the years with her angelic performances, including her performance at the Grammys with singer-songwriter James Bay. The performance was one of the best performances of the night, and I think everyone can agree that she should have won the Grammy for Best New Artist over Meghan Trainor, who in reality, isn’t even a new artist because her song “All About That Bass,” came out in 2014.

My absolute favorite performance of the night was Kendrick Lamar’s. The performance was both musically and visually appealing. His performance had a very strong message about racial equality and you can tell by his body language that he meant every word that he was saying. It gave me chills, and although I love his songs and album, he won me over even more.

In my opinion, Lamar’s “To Pimp A Butterfly,” deserved to win Album Of The Year over Taylor Swift’s “1989.” Even though Lamar walked away with five Grammy awards, he’s still so underrated, in my opinion.

All of the tribute performances were surprisingly good, but not long enough, in my opinion. I would have loved to see Lady Gaga’s tribute to David Bowie and Stevie Wonder and Pentatonix’s tribute to Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire last a little longer, but I guess the Grammys wanted more time allotted for Miguel’s performance of Michael Jackson’s “She’s Out of My Life” and Adele’s performance of her song “All I Ask.”

The sound apparently messed up several artists’ performances, one major one being Adele. Normally, I enjoy all of Adele’s performances, but this one was a nightmare to watch. She hit several wrong notes and you can tell by her posture during her performance that she knew it was a bust. I’m assuming the sound had something to do with Justin Bieber’s pitchy performance of his songs “Love Yourself” and “Where Are Ü Now.”

Overall, the Grammys killed my anticipated excitement and wasted my time. The show did have some high points, but missed the mark by a huge mile.