Reynolds earns 100th win at SRU

Reynolds earns 100th win at SRU

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team knocked off the Clarion Golden Eagles 79-65 in the opening night of the Pennyslvania State Athletic Conference-West season at Morrow Fieldhouse on Wednesday night. The win was SRU's third consecutive victory. Senior Maurice Lewis Briggs posted 21... Read more »

Rock cross country ends season at Regional meet

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

The SRU cross country season came to a close on Saturday at the Atlantic Regional Championships held at Lock Haven University, where the men’s team placed fifth and the women’s team placed seventh. The top three men's teams and top four women's teams earned tickets to the NCAA National Championship... Read more »

SRU loses to Pitt, starts regular season

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 7, 2013
Filed under Photo Slideshows, Sports

After falling to the University of Pittsburgh 96-60 in an exhibition game last weekend, the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team is hopeful to kick off the regular season with a win on Saturday. Against Pitt, senior center Maurice Lewis-Briggs led the Rock with 20 points and eight rebounds. Senior... Read more »

Men’s basketball picked to finish third in preseason poll

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
October 31, 2013
Filed under Sports

Despite losing to Division I Southern Mississippi, 77-65, in exhibition action on Tuesday night at Reed Green Coliseum, the Slippery Rock men’s basketball team gained valuable experience that will carry over into the regular season that kicks off in two weeks. The Green and White trailed the hosts... Read more »

Rock Cross Country prepares for Regionals

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
October 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s and women’s cross country team had three athletes receive All- Conference honors at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Championships on Saturday at Kutztown University, as the men’s team placed fifth and the women’s team took home sixth. The SRU men’s... Read more »

SRU places five in top 11

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
September 19, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s cross country team kicked off the 2013 season last Friday with a second place finish at the Mack Cooper Classic at Cooper’s Lake Campground. Carnegie Mellon narrowly beat the Green and White’s 38 points by six points with 32. Mercyhurst University placed... Read more »

Rocky is voted best mascot in the PSAC

Rocky is voted best mascot in the PSAC

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Sports

Rocky, the pride of Slippery Rock University Athletics, was voted as the best mascot in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference last week in a Twitter contest hosted by the conference office. Rocky collected a total of 406 votes, narrowly beating Bloomsburg University’s mascot, Roongo, and had... Read more »

Thompson Square Takes the Stage

Thompson Square Takes the Stage

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

On Sunday night, the popular American country music duo Thompson Square, composed of husband and wife Keifer and Shawna Thompson, performed to a sold-out audience in the Aebersold Student Recreation Center at Slippery Rock University. With the recent release of their sophomore album Just Feels Good... Read more »

Jewel breaks record again

Jewel breaks record again

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Sports

As a distance runner on the Slippery Rock University cross country and track and field team, I've gotten to know many teammates, but getting to know Kevin Jewel has been a great pleasure of mine. In addition to his great athletic accomplishments, he’s been a great teammate and friend to many. Last... Read more »

Green and White captures 13 events

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s track and field team captured 13 events at the Dave Labor Invitational at SRU last Saturday. Leading the way for the Green and White was senior DJ Chisom with wins in the 100-meter dash (10.72 seconds) and 200-meter dash (22.71 seconds). Chisom also anchored the... Read more »

Getting ripped: “Mr. SRU” lightweight winner Jim Grafe competes in his third consecutive show

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
April 11, 2013
Filed under Campus Life

For the first time since taking the stage in his teal speedo at the Mr. and Mrs. SRU Bodybuilding and Figure Show last weekend, senior sport management major Jim Grafe, 22, is heading back to the Aebersold Student Recreation Center to get a solid lift in. With his family loudly cheering in the front... Read more »

Rock competes at Washington and Lee

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
March 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

By Madeline Williams Sports Editor   The Slippery Rock University men’s track and field team recorded 42 individual Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference qualifying performances over spring break. The Rock won five events at the Washington and Lee Track and Field Carnival on the... Read more »

The Rock falls in PSAC championship game

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
March 10, 2013
Filed under Sports

After a 68-59 victory over East Stroudsburg University on Friday night in the semifinal action of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference tournament, the Slippery Rock University men's basketball team fell to Indiana University of Pa. 52-46 in a low-scoring championship game on Saturday at IUP's Kovalchick... Read more »

Rock falls to Golden Knights: SRU gets No. 3 spot in PSAC tournament

Madeline WIlliams, Sports Editor
February 28, 2013
Filed under Sports

After a thrilling 70-69 win over Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference-leading Indiana University of Pa. last Saturday afternoon in Morrow Field House, the Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team fell to Gannon University 75-63 on Wednesday night in Erie. With the loss, the Rock (19-7 overall,... Read more »

Taylor breaks 1,000: Five players score in double digits; Rock takes over 2nd place in PSAC standings

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
February 21, 2013
Filed under Sports

Senior Devin Taylor scored his tenth double-double of the season on his way to surpassing the 1,000-point mark on Wednesday night, as he led the Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team to a 85-53 win over California University of Pa. at the Convocation Center. Taylor became the 22nd player... Read more »

Men bounce back with win

Men bounce back with win

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
February 14, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men's basketball team bounced back from its 60-57 loss to Mercyhurst University last Saturday with a 94-76 conference win over Lock Haven University on Wednesday night at Morrow Fieldhouse. With the win, the Rock (16-6 overall, 13-PSAC) moved into a tie for second place... Read more »

Playoff bound: Green and White punches its third consecutive ticket for PSAC tournament

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
February 7, 2013
Filed under Multimedia, Sports

Despite losing to PSAC leading Indiana University of Pa. last Saturday night, the Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team assured it’s third consecutive trip to the conference tournament in March. The last time the program earned three or more consecutive trips to the PSAC conference was... Read more »

SRU knocks off Gannon

SRU knocks off Gannon

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team secured sole possession of second place in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference-Western standings on Wednesday night with a 69-56 win over the Gannon University Golden Knights. Although they never led during the game, the Golden Knights fought... Read more »

Rock basketball gets two PSAC wins

Rock basketball gets two PSAC wins

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
December 7, 2012
Filed under Sports

Bouncing back from a loss two weeks ago, the Slippery Rock University men's basketball team won two games in a row last weekend against Bloomsburg University on Saturday and Mansfield University on Sunday. On Saturday, the Rock beat the Bloomsburg Huskies 84-66 to earn their first Pennsylvania State... Read more »

Rock falls to Lake Erie

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

After winning the first two games of the season, the Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team dropped an overtime non-conference game against Lake Erie College 80-73 last Saturday. The Storm (3-0) fought back from a 16-point deficit in the final 18 minutes of regulation play and outscored... Read more »

SRU students learn from ESPN experts

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 16, 2012
Filed under Sports

Hundreds of people packed into the new Robert M. Smith Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday evening to hear three ESPN sports experts discuss their journeys, careers, and  opinions in the sports world. ESPN anchor Linda Cohn, NFL commentator Adam Schefter, and ESPN College Game Day analyst Desmond... Read more »

Slippery Rock sinks U.S. Naval Academy in exhibition matchup game

Madeline Williams, Sports Editor
November 8, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team kicked off the season by beating the United States Naval Academy 79-56 on Sunday afternoon in the first of two Division I exhibition action games. The Green and White led the game from the beginning, going on a big 20-7 run right before intermission,... Read more »

Singer-guitar player gains popularity for musical talent on Internet

Madeline Williams, Assistant Sports Editor
May 4, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

In a matter of weeks, 22-year-old art major, graphic design minor and singer-songwriter Josh Herbert has become a YouTube sensation. Herbert has quickly become famous on YouTube, doing covers of “One Thing” and “What Makes You Beautiful” by the popular boy band One Direction, “Payphone”... Read more »

Women’s lacrosse wins most games in school history

May 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women’s lacrosse team won their last game of the season, in a thrilling 14-13 comeback win against Seton Hill University on Saturday at Mihalik-Thompson Stadium. The Rock was trailing 13-10 with less than five minutes to play in the game. Senior Casey Quinn scored back-to-back... Read more »

Rock guard receives extra year of eligibility on basketball team

May 4, 2012
Filed under Sports

Senior guard Devin Taylor was approved for another year of eligibility with the Slippery Rock University men’s basketball team. Last winter, Taylor was the Rock’s top scorer, averaging 13.5 points per game. He led the team in rebounding with 9.8 per game. Taylor ranked 13th nationally in rebounding... Read more »

Lacrosse falls short of playoff berth, despite win

Madeline Williams, Rocket Contributor
April 27, 2012
Filed under Sports

Slippery Rock women's lacrosse team was eliminated from playoff contention despite beating Edinboro University on Thursday by a final of 10-7. In order to make the PSAC tournament, the Rock needed a win over Edinboro, and a Lock Haven win over Indiana University. However, IUP defeated Lock Haven,... Read more »

Lacrosse scores 22 goals, wins third consecutive match

April 20, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women's lacrosse team won its third consecutive game on Sunday with a 22-13 victory over Shepherd University. The Rock went on an 8-0 run midway through the first period to score a season-high 17 goals in the first half. SRU improved to 8-4 overall and 4-4 in league... Read more »

Rock sweeps Fairmont, extends winning streak to eight games

April 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Rock baseball team extended their winning streak to eight games after a four-game sweep of Fairmont State University on Saturday and Sunday at Jack Critchfield Park. Coach Jeff Messer commented on Slippery Rock's eight-game winning streak, the longest winning streak the Rock has experienced since... Read more »

Soph. shines against IUP

April 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

Last Thursday, in the 18-13 upset over No. 12 Indiana University of Pennsylvania, sophomore Slippery Rock University women's lacrosse standout Lauren Laubach scored six goals, dished out one assist, and had four draw controls to lead the Rock to the PSAC victory. "Winning against IUP was one of the... Read more »

Lacrosse gets first ever win against IUP

April 13, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women's lacrosse team earned its first win over Indiana University of Pa. in program history, and perhaps the biggest upset of the season last Thursday by a score of 18-13 at Milhalik-Thompson Stadium. The Rock dominated the end of the game, winning seven of the last nine... Read more »

Women’s lacrosse ends three game winning streak against Lock Haven

April 6, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women's lacrosse team ended its three-game winning streak on Tuesday night with a 17-7 loss to Lock Haven University in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference action. With the loss, the Rock dropped to 5-4 overall and 2-4 in conference action. Lock Haven improved to 5-4... Read more »

Women’s lacrosse earns first shutout in over 25 seasons

March 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

Earning the first shutout victory since 1985, the Slippery Rock University women's lacrosse team dominated Wheeling Jesuit University to pick up a 16-0 non-conference win on Tuesday night. The Rock scored 13 first half goals and went on to win the first shutout since the program returned as an intercollegiate... Read more »

Getting a workout with a Mr. SRU competitor

March 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

As a collegiate athlete on the Slippery Rock University women’s cross country and track and field team, I thought I was in great shape, until I worked out with SRU bodybuilder Adam Gibson. After watching Gibson compete in the Mr. and Mrs. SRU Bodybuilding and Figure Show last weekend, I was hoping... Read more »

The life of a bodybuilder

March 30, 2012
Filed under Sports

If you’re in the Aebersold Student Recreation Center on any weekday afternoon, chances are, you might spot 22-year-old, elementary and special education major Adam Gibson pumping iron and preparing for his next bodybuilding show. Gibson got involved with bodybuilding during his freshman year of... Read more »

Lacrosse drops PSAC opener against the Golden Knights

March 22, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University women’s lacrosse team suffered its first loss of the season, 17-7, to Gannon University on Tuesday evening. With the loss, the Rock dropped to 2-1 overall and 0-1 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference. The Rock was led by the efforts of senior midfielder Casey... Read more »

One and Done

March 1, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men's basketball team ended their season on Tuesday night with a 77-69 loss to Mercyhurst University in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference quarterfinal action. The Rock finished the season with a 17-10 final record. The Lakers won two of three games against the Rock... Read more »

Teen Mom at SRU

February 23, 2012
Filed under Campus Life

As she spoke to her three-year-old son Bentley on the phone, MTV "Teen Mom" star Maci Bookout brought tears to the eyes of many from the packed audience of supporters in the MPR Wednesday evening. Hearing little Bentley's sweet southern voice tell his mom "I love you" pulled on the heart strings of... Read more »

Rock tournament hopes in jeopardy

February 23, 2012
Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

The Slippery Rock University men's basketball team put their trip to the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference tournament in jeopardy when they fell to Gannon University, 80-73, on Wednesday night in Morrow Field House. The Golden Knights outscored The Rock 14-3 in the remaining six minutes of the... Read more »

Rock extends win streak to four with wins against Vulcans and Fighting Scots

February 17, 2012
Filed under Sports

Senior guard Devin Taylor scored 24 points and had seven rebounds on Wednesday night to lead the Slippery Rock University men's basketball team to a 57-51 victory over California University of Pa. The win marked the fourth consecutive for the Rock, who improved their record to 16-7 overall and 13-6... Read more »

Eagles and Hawks soar past Rock

Eagles and Hawks soar past Rock

February 10, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men's basketball team dropped to fourth place in the PSAC standings on Wednesday night as they fell to Clarion University, 88-75, losing their second consecutive game. Leading the Rock (12-7 overall, 9-6 PSAC) was junior guard JohnBayardelle, scoring a career-high 25... Read more »

One and Done: Rock drops first round conference matchup against Mercyhurst

February 3, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Slippery Rock University men's basketball team ended their season on Tuesday night with a 77-69 loss to Mercyhurst University in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference quarterfinal action. The Rock finished the season with a 17-10 final record. The Lakerswon two of three games against the Rock... Read more »

Junior goes from injured to starter

Junior goes from injured to starter

February 3, 2012
Filed under Sports

As the Slippery Rock University men's basketball team approaches the second half of the division schedule, junior forward Tabari Perry has bounced back from a season-ending injury last season and earned a spot in the starting line-up. Perry, from Cambridge, Maryland, said his basketball career started... Read more »

Forgotten Angels travel to Haiti

Forgotten Angels travel to Haiti

January 27, 2012
Filed under Sports

On January 12, 2010, a devastating 7.0 earthquake hit the Caribbean nation of Haiti, near Port-au-Prince. While billions of dollars have been donated to the country, the rebuilding process has been slow, and thousands of natives are still homeless. On the two-year anniversary of the quake, the... Read more »

Big shots lead to victory over Gannon

Big shots lead to victory over Gannon

January 27, 2012
Filed under Sports

Despite trailing by 11 points with 14 minutes left to play, the Slippery Rock University men's basketball team outscored Gannon University of Pennsylvania 37-19 during the final stretch of the game, leading to a 70-63 victory on Wednesday night. The Rock (12-5 overall, 9-4 PSAC) battled back and forth... Read more »