SRU trio looks to lead volleyball team

Junior outside hitter Kristy Lake attempts to hit the ball during practice on Wednesday. Last season, Lake started 22 of 34 matches, appearing in 132 sets. She had 306 kills and 195 digs.

Alex Mowrey

Alex Mowrey

Colleen Barenick, Rocket Contributor

The Slippery Rock University volleyball team has only two seniors on the roster this season, including Janna Reilly and Michelle Hren. Along with Reilly and Hren, SRU will look to junior Kristy Lake to lead the team.

Reilly said that being on SRU’s volleyball team has been a great experience for her.

“Through volleyball, I have met my best friends,” Reilly said. “Being able to hang out every day and play the sport we love is such an amazing opportunity.”

Reilly, from Mason, Oh. is a setter for the team. Last season, Reilly started in 22 of 34 matches and appeared in 131 sets. Reilly also led the team with 705 assists (5.38 assists per set). During her four years at the Rock, Reilly said that her favorite memory while being on the team was beating Clarion in four home games during her freshman year. Reilly also said her highest accomplishment and proudest moment came when she was named freshman of the year in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Western Division.

Hren, from Mentor, Ohio is a middle blocker on the team. Hren said that her proudest moment while being on the team was being named team captain for two years. In the 2012 season, Hren played in 27 matches and appeared in 97 sets. She also registered career-highs in kills, assists, digs, and blocks. Hren was only hurt briefly but never long enough to cause her to red shirt. Hren said that her favorite memory while being on the team is from the Christmas parties.

“Having a team Christmas party is always fun,” Hren said. “The whole team is together eating and relaxing at coach’s house and exchanging gifts. I love the atmosphere of team parties and picnics.”

Hren said the major hardship of playing a sport throughout the four years was when her family had something going on and she was not able to be home for the event. Lake,from Boardman, Oh. is an outside hitter for the team. Lake said that her proudest moment while being on the team was some of the awards she has won.

“When I was awarded the Slippery Rock University player of the week twice, being named the PSAC volleyball player of the week, and being voted captain by my fellow teammates,” Lake said.

Last season, Lake started 22 of 34 matches and appeared in 132 sets. 

She also ranked second on the team with 306 kills (2.32 kills per set). Although Lake shows the leadership in her statistics alone, she missed all of the 2012 season due to an ACL, MCL, and lateral meniscus tear. However, Lake believes that her knowledge of volleyball has increased and has heightened her level of appreciation for the game and her health.

The Green and White will be leaning on Reilly, Hren, and Lake to lead the team to a successful 2014 season. 

SRU’s first match is against Pfeiffer University at the Pfeiffer College Tournament on Sep. 5.