Women’s tennis takes two at Bloomsburg

Senior Nikolina Grbac returns a serve against the Seton Hill Griffins on April 8.  Grbac was victorious in both of her doubles matches in the Bloomsburg Duals this past weekend.

Senior Nikolina Grbac returns a serve against the Seton Hill Griffins on April 8. Grbac was victorious in both of her doubles matches in the Bloomsburg Duals this past weekend.

Rebecca Dietrich

Rebecca Dietrich

Brittany Fagan, Rocket Contributor

The Slippery Rock women’s tennis team won two out of three matches in the Bloomsburg Duals this past weekend at Bloomsburg University.

The Rock faced Bluefield State College of West Virginia Sunday morning and won with a final score of 5-1. All three matches played were races to five which means the first team to score five points wins the match.

Slippery Rock lost 5-1 to Chestnut Hill College Saturday morning, but defeated Bloomsburg University 5-0 later that day. 

Bloomsburg University is currently ranked first in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Eastern division, while Slippery Rock University is fourth in the PSAC Western division.

The Rock played the same three doubles and six singles teams through the entire weekend.

Seniors Nikolina Grbac and Sarah Joumond made up the first doubles team for the Rock. 

The two went on to win all three of their doubles at the tournament with scores of 8-5, 8-4 and 8-1. Senior Lauren Coggins and freshman Kylee Woodman made up the second doubles team followed by freshman Stephanie Fortier joining sophomore Courtney Gallagher to form the final pair.

All six athletes also competed in the singles matches.

“The ladies had some good competition over the weekend and were extremely aggressive,” head coach Matthew Meredith said. “I think that this tournament was a great indicator for how we will play in the playoffs, assuming that we will make it that far.”

The Rock awaits the announcement of an NCAA Division II national playoff berth which will be broadcasted on Tuesday, April 29.

The team commented that they’re happy with the season that they had and are extremely hopeful for a playoff berth.

If the team makes it to the playoffs, it will be the eighth consecutive trip for the team.

The Rock finishes their season with an overall 13-12 winning season record making them fourth in the PSAC West with a 3-3 record.

Overall, Meredith says that he was pleased with the season and was happy with their end of the season ranking as sixth in the Atlantic Region.

“We played a few nationally and regionally ranked teams this season and it really prepared us for the games in our conference,” Meredith said. “Every match we played gave us great experience for the playoff games.”

The Green and White anxiously await the announcement for their chance to play just a few more matches of tennis before the end of the semester.