SRU and Fighting Scots split doubleheader

Sophomore Stacey Herzog takes a swing during Wednesday's doubleheader against Edinboro University. Herzog started at second base both games.

Rebecca Dietrich

Rebecca Dietrich

Brian Hepfinger, Rocket Contributor

The Slippery Rock University softball team (9-12 overall, 5-3 PSAC) split a doubleheader against Edinboro University of Pennsylvania (8-12 overall, 3-5 PSAC) Wednesday.

SRU has now split a doubleheader two times in a row. The Rock continues to win the first matchup of the doubleheader by a substantial amount, but then proceeds to lose the second game in the same fashion.

SRU won the first game 3-0. The score was 0-0 until the fourth inning when sophomore third basemen Ashley Samluk got things going for the Rock.

With sophomore infielder Katie Kaiser already on base, Samluk hit a single, allowing Kaiser to advance to second base.

Senior first basemen Breanna Tongel then reached first base off of a fielder’s choice, allowing Samluk and Kaiser to both advance.

Freshman catcher McKenzie Popatak then walked. Junior outfielder Alaynna Beers singled, allowing Popatak and Tongel to advance, and Samluk to score.

Junior infielder Taylor Welch reached first base off of an error by Edinboro’s second basemen, allowing Beers and Popatak to advance, and Tongel to score.

The Rock continued to score in the fifth inning. Sophomore outfielder Megan Maloney kicked off the inning with a single. Kaiser hit a double, allowing Maloney to score.

Senior pitcher Emily Lobdell pitched another complete game for the Green and White.

She pitched a one-hit shutout.

Like SRU’s second game against Indiana University of Pennsylvania on Sunday, the Rock lost by a large amount in the second game of this doubleheader as well.

The Fighting Scots won the game 8-0.

“We’re definitely more focused during the first game, because it’s in our heads that we need to win that game; we play to our potential,” Beers said. “When the second game comes along, I feel like as a team we get more relaxed and lose some of that focus.”

Lobdell got the start for SRU in game two, but was replaced by freshman pitcher Carly DeRose in the third inning after allowing three runs.

Edinboro continued to score in the third inning.

There was a double by sophomore shortstop Kylie Mason, which allowed freshman catcher Shelby Proctor to score.

A walk and a fielder’s choice allowed two more Edinboro players to score, giving them a 6-0 lead.

Edinboro scored two more runs in the sixth inning to finish the Rock. Lobdell was given the loss.

In 3 2/3 innings, DeRose allowed five runs, four hits, five walks, and threw five strikeouts.

Even though SRU’s pitchers allowed eight runs, the team does not attribute that to the reason why they lose games.

“Our biggest issue has been situational hitting,” Beers said. “When we have runners in scoring position, we need to be able to hit them in and get those runs.”

SRU fell in both games during a doubleheader against Gannon University Thursday April 10.

They are set to play another doubleheader against Mercyhurst University on Saturday April 12 at home with first pitch at 1:00 p.m.