Corinne Rockefeller appointed as parliamentarian

Published by Nina Cipriani, Date: February 5, 2020
0
432

The Slippery Rock Student Government Association (SGA) held a formal meeting in the Advanced Technology and Science Hall on Monday night to discuss multiple finance motions, the appointment of a new parliamentarian and the election of new senators.

Corinne Rockefeller was appointed as the new parliamentarian. This will go into effect on February 8, as the current Parliamentarian Matt Lerman will be stepping down from his position on February 7. The motion passed with nine abstentions.

Three senators positions were filled: junior political science major Mara Schlosser as a commuter senator, sophomore psychology major Mohamad Khalaifa as a Building E senator and freshman cyber security major Clay Mikell as a Building A senator.

SGA approved University Program Board’s request of $1,162.28. These funds will go toward purchasing scanners for the organization and potentially the Suite to assist in ticketing for events.

Musical Theatre Society’s request of $1,579 was approved. These funds will help fund the club’s trip to see the Broadway musical CATS in Pittsburgh.

SGA also approved The Art Society’s request of $1,350. These funds will act as the club’s budget for the spring 2020 semester.

SGA approved the National Society of Leadership and Success (NSLS) as a new organization.

SGA discussed the town halls for this semester. The campus inclusion town hall will be on March 18 and the campus sustainability town hall will be April 6 at 5 p.m. in the Smith Student Center.

SGA’s next formal meeting will be on February 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the Smith Student Center Theater.

Nina is a freshman majoring in communications: converged journalism. She has always wanted to be a journalist. In the beginning, around elementary school, she wanted to become an author and write a New York Times Bestseller. But since then, she has taken many English and journalism classes, and so her views of becoming that bestselling author altered dramatically. During high school, she was on the school newspaper staff freshman year to senior year. She also was the Editor In Chief of her high school newspaper during her senior year. As for her goals currently, she aspires to become a journalist for The New York Times. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to music and watching Netflix, but specifically Friends. She is thrilled to be The Rocket’s assistant news editor, and she can’t wait to see what SRU has in store for her in the future.

Previous articleRock tennis drops first match of the spring season to Carnegie Mellon
Next articleHow to Prepare for Your First Job Interview
Nina Cipriani